1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your Take on Gerald Veasley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Laklandlover, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    Maybe George Benson ought to switch brands as well...:bag:
    I mean really...Gerald is at a level where he can pick, choose & refuse anything he wants...He obviously likes what he plays.

2. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I went to GV's bass Boot camp in '06. I have to say GV is one greatly talented bassist. Meeting him in person, jamming with him and watching him play was truely inspiring. He's a smart guy with a very special outlook on music as it relates to life... he's aces in my book.

3. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    Much of his music's a bit too 'smooth-jazz' for my taste but he does some beautiful playing on the 3 Zawinul Syndicate albums he plays on.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's my point exactly. Gerald Veasley is a hugely successful musician who does not have to hold on to an endorsement for survival. Furthermore, playing an Ibanez, the man sounds so good that we all are posting about him and buying music that he produces.:)

5. valeresperanza

valeresperanza

Mar 9, 2006
    +1 on his playing on the "word of mouth revisited album".

There are some amazing players on this tribute album, but 2 particular tracks made me check the CD sleeve to find out who's on bass. It was Gerald on both occasions.

Great feel/sound/time.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

His playing blows my mind away. He did some wonderful stuff and like others, I'm not a fan of his smooth fusion jazz work.

7. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I just caught his show tonight at the North by Northwest club in north Philly. It was a great show. Caught him at a clinic at Bass Specialties in Bensalem, Pa. As already mentioned he's a great player and seems like a even better person. No ego. Very cool cat. He's got another show tomorrow. Check him out if you near.

8. Stizz

Stizz

Jul 16, 2009
    Lower Puna, HI
    Known about GV for quite some time, when I lived in Philly in the late 70s - early 80s

Try to find the Odean Pope album "Almost Like Me" Cornell, Gerald, and Odean on tenor - some mean Jazz, and some bassplaying that was way ahead of its time.

I also remember him from a Philly fusion band called "Reverie" back in the day

9. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    :bassist: