Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your view on picking?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by haplo07, Apr 30, 2002.

1. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    What is your view on picking? I'm just transfering over from guitar so it's basically all i know. i have used my fingers in playing but it's different on a guitar than a bass (i know thats soooo obvious duh to me.) i have friends that play bass. many frown on picking, yet when watching a live show of the band, "YES," the bass player (a bassist i and all my friends highly admire) was using a pick. i just want to know what your view on picking is. is it a frowned upon thing? something that is a habbit not to get into in playing bass? or an as situation requires in song play? if anyone wants to know the song the Yes bassit was playing, i'm sorry, but i don't remember. i just remember him picking and it wasn't a thumb pick he was using from what i saw. i could be wrong though.

i forgot to add this earlier: if you guys pick what kind of pick do you guys preffer?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't mind. As you say, Chris Squire of Yes uses one all the time, and he kicks ass.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One of the coolest ways to coax tone out of a bass is to use a pick on muted strings. There are many great examples, but one of my faves is bassist John Entwistle, band The Who, album "Live at Leeds", song "Magic Bus". Pan left to better appreciate The Ox' grooviness.

4. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Thanks for your input dude. always cool to hear from another person who appreciates Yes' talent.

:D

5. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Thanks man, but i'm not entirely clear on what you are saying. muted? are you talking something simular to palm muting on a guitar for sticatto picking?

6. I'm pretty much a devout pick player. I've others frown on me because of it, but I don't really pay them much mind. I tend to play metal/hard rock. And I like the precise sound that the pick brings. I've got nothing against finger players, but I prefer the pick.

In the end it just matters about what style you prefer.

7. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    thanks man. i apreciate the input. :) gives me something to concider. what metal do you play? if you don't mind me asking that is. what bands? and is their anyone that influences you in the wide range of music that is metal? also if i can ask, how long have you been playing bass, what got you started and what gear do you use? i know, i know. i'm Curious George. lol

8. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    i rarely use a pick and for a few little reasons. the first being that i love playing fingerstyle. i just really like the feeling and find it somewhat relaxing.lol. another reason being that i dont really ever have a reason for one..just be able to play both ways and id say ud be fine.

9. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    thanx dude. like i said i'm starting out on this instrument. always wanted to learn, a buddy of mine and other friends of mine has become a major A**h**e, and his equipment was trashed curtousy of his lil brother, so i bought a bass. :) i guess i'm a switch hitter when it comes to guitar and bass. i love both. hower, i can only play one at the moment. but hell if my old guitar teacher can turn to bass and make it with the band Disturbed than anything is possible right? lol thanks for the input lazy. i will definately try to learn both.

on a side note: not bragging, but covering my butt here. if anyone wants to know about my knowing the bass player of Disturbed was my old guitar teacher it is from word of mouth from a reliable source at Rossy's Music (i maybe spelling it wrong...forgive me please) in Chicago off of 95th and Cicero Ave. the coowner,Larry, himself told me this and he saw Steve (my old teacher) more frequently than i did. he could be wrong on that claim, but concidering the source of my info and the fact that Disturbed is a hometown, Chicago based band, i'll believe in my source this time. i can say this should it be true, and i think it is, then i know the bass player of Disturbed is with out a doubt, a far superior lead axe man (IMO) then the one they have playing guitar now. (ok that was bragging..SORRY.....truely....just proud for my teacher... he worked hard.) lol GO STEVE!!!!! AKA FUZZ... yes they called him that even back then....his hair had a tendency to flair up like an aphro when he played live on stage. if any Chicago residences saw the local bands Extasy or Vandal play live you know what i mean. Also, if case anyone is wondering, Fuzz was playing lead guitar for Vandal and Extasy. so while some Disturbed sites say he has been playing bass for years and yes that is true, he has also been an axe grinder for just as long. again this is mainly to back up what i have typed as best as i can, and so i don't have tick any of you guys off to the point i get slammed.

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You pick when you need to pick, and you finger when you need to finger.

It all depends. there is nothing wrong with using a pick. It is mostly a "tradition" to finger pluck. I do both. Fingerstyle is very versatile, and picking adds a few more sounds to it. Gotta love having options!!! Without the options, you might as well have stuck to guitar!!;)

Nick

11. There are always people who frown upon this style or that. I'm sure every musical instrument has musically conservative types who believe that if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Personally, I pick 90% of the time, its a lot easier to do when you're moving around on the stage and has a pretty cutting sound. On the other end, its hard to get a really warm sound with apick, so ballad-y stuff, or softer, more relaxed stuff is best done fingerstyle, also, if you get it right, fingerstyle can be lots of fun when you're bouncing around.

12. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    i used to pick but i broke my e string so i stopped. occasionally i use a pick for the sharp sound but mainly i use fingerstlye. i feel like i can pluck faster than i can pick and i also feel like i have more control over the bass.

13. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Personally, I never got the hang of using a pick (on bass or g*****). Besides, I find a pick to be somewhat limiting, of course that might just be me :rolleyes: As to pick using bass players, any jokes are done in fun, so you don't have anything to worry about from me. It is all about what feels best to you and what sound you are looking for.

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm the last person on earth who would ever advise you to not pick (I switch back and forth- sometimes in mid song). You will find plenty of purists who will tell you that you're not even playing bass if you use a pick, but I think that any means of producing tone is valid. YOu're already noticing the tonal differences between the two techniques and that's something that you can incorporate into your playing.

However, my advice to you would be to concentrate on using your fingers in this early part of your development. It will take some time for your right hand fingers to catch up to the picking skills you are bringing over from guitar, and it is often at this discouraging time that players abandon their fingers and just play with a pick. You don't want to limit yourself so early. Right now, you are an fresh slate and you want to try out as many things as you can before you start developing patterns and prejudices on your instrument. Good luck.

15. rhythmrod

rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    What's Up!!!
    This thread is similar to others that involve style & technique (slapping & popping). I used to think that picking sucked, but, that's because "I" sucked at using the technique. I have since become quite competent at it and thus changed my opinion. I can get nice different tones when I pick, however, my forte is finger style. Since you are already adept at using a pick do what is comfortable to you and allows you to create the sound that you want. Remember to be willing to try different techniques though, it can only help you to become more proficient with your bass.

16. Picking allows a sharper, clearer tone, and IMHO allows your picking hand to go crazy and play faster than fingerstyle. I prefer fingerstyle most of the time because I feel it gives me more control on the attack. Maybe that's because I started playing bass with the idea that a plectrum was taboo on bass.

Both sound good if done right, it just depends on what tone you want. John Paul Jones switched constantly, depending on the song. He sometimes would even play fingerstyle and pluck the string with two or more fingers at a time, to get a really heavy attack (I believe he does this on "Dazed and Confused", but I'm not 100%).

My three cents.
    ish

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I gotta admit I'm about 80% picker 20% fingerstyle. I like fingerstyle but I'm not too good at it, and have to use a pick for some of the faster stuff we play - 'cos I ain't got the coordination or stamina to play fingerstyle.

I currently use Dunlop 2.0mm picks - the purple ones with the tortoise picture on it! I like a big chunky pick. I used to use 3.0mm Big Stubby picks, but they were just a bit big!

18. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    uhhh oook. i'm no expert on the bass. far far farrrr from it, but i know that when you bust one of the bass or heavier strings on a guitar you can cause some really bad damge to the height and intonation settings and may end up having in stobe tuned all over.........so my question is this: wouldn't busting the TOP E on a bass do some major damage to the instrument to the point it might not be playable? not trying to be insulting so please don't take me as that. i just want to know. i'm curious. these things are freaking expensive; both the strings and the axe, so how much can they take in abuse? not that i'm going to go out and start doing things to my bass mind you lol.

19. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Thanks dude. yes it is so FU****G discouraging man. i'm used to sweep picking and all that nice technical stuff to pick fast and furious. so it is going to take some time. a lot of time, energy and icy hot for the fingers. lol

20. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL

WHAT UP!!
    ok now that you are deaf,........lol (CAPS ARE SO FUN) anway....... i see what you are saying. and like corinpills said i have to be willing to give it time so that new techniques will take hold. thanks for the in put man. HEY you live in Austin!!!! i have a girl that is out that way maybe we can get together and jam. i'll bring the bottles. :cool: