1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What issue may have caused my preamp valve to die?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Back in May at a gig I found my Trace V4 to be very distorted (farty, not tube awesomeness) before I got anywhere near gig volume.

Of course, this meant a trip to the tech, it was due a service anyway and they replaced a few resistors here and there. We tested it with a P bass with a darkstar that a seriously hot output, but otherwise the amp sounded good to me.

When I tried it through my own set up, I felt the volume wasn't quite there and the farty breakup still there. I called the techs and he felt it maybe a dead preamp valve - this was a suspicion I had, although I bought a full set of JJ's 4 years ago I was somewhat skeptical they would only last this long.

I opened her up and tried the original TE valves (These are about 14 years old so I keep them for spares) in the different positions and I've found that by replacing the two ECC83's that are next to the power valves i got my volume back as well as a clean tone that I can drive again.

I stopped at this point, so I'm not 100% if it is one or two of the preamp valves that have died, but she's sounding good now anyway. Think I've just got unlucky with those valve(s) or something else?

Cheers for insight I can pass onto my tech...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think you called it. sometimes they go early.

3. OK, further inspection shows it is a dead valve.
    thank goodness for keeping spares! recording is next week! although it is tempting to perhaps replace all the preamp valves... hmm...

4. It's not very often that pre-amp tubes go wrong. They don't really do much actual work. They do go sometimes but usually give you plenty of warning. I've had tubes operating in a pre-amp for more than thirty years and they still test well into the green.

5. Yea this was why I was skeptical that it was the preamp valve but it certainly seems to be the case. It's not local to the socket, I've tried the valve in the 4 different sockets and get similiar distortion/lack of volume in each! The replacement valve I'm using is around 16 years old and it sounds great!

When I think about it I haven't had this much clarity for a long time! Amp has been on all afternoon and using line out to record and no issues! boom!

6. I'm glad you got it sorted and you learned a little bit too. Win win situation.