1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What J bridge pup to go with my '73 P pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ok, so for awhile I've been contemplating what J pickup to put in the bridge position of my modified '05 MIM P bass. It has a '73 P pickup in neck position & a Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder J in the bridge (which is the one I want to switch out). I love my tone with just the P pickup, but not loving the Duncan J so much.
    I have a couple of ideas in mind, but wanted to see what some of u guys might suggest that would be a good match with the '73 pup.

2. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Just added a Model J to my '98 mia P. Had to switch the wires on the P to make it play nice with the DiMarzio - it is a fretless with a 3-way (a la Tony Franklin). Me likey - nice balance between pup's and can maintain the P when I like. J solo'd mwahs nicely without any hum.

3. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, the Model J is nice because it's a split single coil and won't hum. It's also wound hotter and will better balance with your P pickup. For straight up vintage tone I'd recommend the Antiquity II as that's my favorite jazz bridge pickup.

4. Model J in mine also, gets along ok with the SPB-2.

5. Anyone try the Fender noiseless vintage?