1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FooIsFood, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. FooIsFood


    Nov 21, 2004
    Didn't know if this was the right forum, but I need to know which jack to use. I have a Hondo Longhorn and the hole in the body is a 1" hole slightly tapered at the end all the way into the electronics cavity (about 1 1/2") the standard jacks don't seem to work. Any ideas?
    Foo is food
  2. David Wilson

    David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

    Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

    Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Moved to setup
  4. I was thinking more something like this:


    But that 1" hole thing has me stumped. I bet it used the old style tin plate that had a rolled lip edge and pushed down into the hole. The lip kept it from going too deep. I think those were 1" in diameter.

    Since you're in a pickle, I'll let you in on one of my trade secrets on how to make a neat recessed jack plate (plug). Go to your local hardware store - Home Depot is fine. In the plumbing section find a 1" copper cap for terminating a water line. I like the flat bottomed version but the rounded ones work too. You can use this to make your new plate. Just drill the hole the right size for the jack and insert it into the body. To keep it in place, just use epoxy. If the cap is too long, it is easy to shorten with a hacksaw. Smoothing the copper after cutting is easily done with some sandpaper. Then when you've got it all nice, you can polish it with steel wool and coat it with a little clear nail polish and it will look like a new penny for evermore.