Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what jaco album next?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Jan 27, 2005.

1. I really love Jaco and I own Jaco Pastorius, Word of Mouth, The Birthday Concert, Invitation, Punk Jazz, Heavy Weather, Bright Sized Life, Mingus and Black Market music what albums does he play on that I don't have...I really want to know what to buy next of this great bass player, thanks

2. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I love his playing on Joni Mitchells Don Juan's Reckless Daughter... And the new? release, Live At Budokan 82'...!

3. Great suggestion, I love that album. I believe he put down multiple tracks on some of those tunes. Also you must get Joni's Shadows and Light live album (and tht DVD while you're at it). You may even find yourself becoming a Joni Mitchell fan.

Also get Weather Report - Night Passage.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rowan(sans Martin) said he has Invitation...isn't this 'new' Budokan thing about the same?
    (I ask 'cause I have Invitation AND Twins).

I second the Shadows & Light double-cd set AND the DVD!
    The opening tune, "In France They Kiss On Main St." still wipes me out!

5. Definitly all the stuff he did with Joni. Weather Reports Mr Gone is a good one aswell.

Theres a bootleg called 'Curtain Call' which is great, it was one of the last if not the last recorded performance by him, and he is on fire, he nails everything, and he does some great solos on it aswell. :bassist:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He's got some time on WR's Live and Unreleased.

brad cook

7. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Jim, the "new" budokan cd features the same songs as Invitation. But they are played different. To a real Jaco fanatic it is a must have. I think the album is very cool!..

btw. +2 on the Shadows And Light cd/dvd! Fantastic playing!

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Two anthologies, Portrait of Jaco: The early years and Punk Jazz: The jaco pastorius anthology are both really good. Portrait of Jaco is more of a documentary, and Punk jazz has a lot of repeats, but both albums have new material and/or singles that he played on(in case you don't feel like buying a whole album just to hear a jaco cut) And they reference many people he played with that should help you expand your collection if you want to.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, sounds cool.
    I did notice Live At Budokan was recorded Sept. 1, 1982; some of the tracks on Twins were recorded on that same date.

I'll 2nd Brad's Weather Live & Unreleased.

10. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Joni Mitchell - Hejira

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is a great album - but Jaco only plays on a few tracks and if you're buying albums just for Jaco's playing - you'll get a lot more out of Don Juan's Reckless Daughter or Shadows & Light - the latter is available on DVD as well - so you can see Jaco as well!!

If you're interested in seeing more Jaco - you could also get "Young & Fine" - DVD of a Weather Report concert in Germany with Jaco at the peak of his playing ability - 10 minute bass solo spot!! :)

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    get night passage. if i could own only one album with jaco on it, this might be it. ripping solo(port of entry), great composition(three views of a secret), great support playing(title track).

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I love the Live in Italy disc. Crazy guitarist...smokin' Teen Town and a nasty Marley cover - best reggae bass I've ever heard.

14. Where can I get the DVD of the Weather Report concert in Germany?

15. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    May I suggest click here .. :)

16. Thank you very much. Wow, I think the Weather Report DVD is really expensive. but, what the hell...

17. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I think one of the last releases was with the Brian melvin trio? did I get that name right??

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Portrait of Jaco The Early Years for sure, I like 8:30 and the DVD of Weather Report live in Germany in '78 titled Young and Fine.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The title was Standards Zone.
    IIRC, that was the last of 3 albums Jaco recorded with drummer Brian Melvin.