What Jazz - GAS is a coming

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alanbass1, Feb 8, 2006.

1. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Well, with my most unsatisfactory experience in ordering a custom order Iceni Zoot :crying: my GAS syndrome is begging for a fix. What I reckon will quell my desire is a high end Jazz bass :) but which one. Really looking for a traditional jazz sound and the only thing out of range would be a early/mid '60's one. So, what sayeth the forum as way of direction :help:
  2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    aww now you gone and done it. You're gunna responses pointing you at every manufacturer/builder on the planet.

Seriously, when you are talking about this kind of jive, it is completely a personal decision. I've had lower end lakland and sadowsky traditional basses (jazz whatever), and seriously, you just need to play all the options and make up your own mind.

You already own a NYC Sadowsky P, so you could always go the Sadowsky J route and it wouldn't be an unknown quantity.
  3. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Yeah, I do like my NYC P a lot, but I have to say that my experience with Sadowsky is that they are a very modern sounding bass and I'm looking more for a '60s vibe. The obvious ones on the check out list are Fender re-issues/time machines and Lakland. People talk about Celinder and such like, but do these basses capture the 60's sound? Really looking to get together a list before I go trekking.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've only heard the Celinder Update, but it is most certainly a 70's J-bass (and a damn fine one, at that!).

5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    What about a good ol' American Jazz. You can get them used at a decent price and they surely sound like a jazz.

Lakland's are also nice.
  6. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I was actually surprised at how much $$ the Celinder update is. I also read some disturbing things about their support, which I hope are fixed. Things about people ordering pre-amps and not receiving them or their money back, etc. Even though there are raves on the board about their basses, make sure you do your research :)

If I'm going to spend that much cake on a bass, then I am going to make sure that if something goes wrong, I can show up on their doorstep and demand an explanation if I have to :)

7. A Sadowsky Metro in alder/RW with the optional passive tone control is a very nice bass... it can get very warm and 'classic' sounding, but also can 'modern up' if need be. It's a very nice bass, and sells for about $2,500 (5 string, less for a 4) with the optional passive tone... which is a must. They are lightweight, 34" scale but with wide string spacing (.19) at the bridge.

Very nice if that's the vibe you are looking for. Nino Valenti could probably get you into a great instrument for less money also.

Celinder makes classic (passive) and vintage (active) style instruments that are very nice from what I understand and totally capture the 60's vibe. As posted elsewhere, Chris Celinder is hard to reach, etc., but you can't buy his basses direct anyway... and Glen at Austin Bass Traders provides stellar service if you decide to go the Celinder route. However, to me, the 70's Update is really where Celinder shines.... I would (and did) choose the Sadowsky for the tone you are looking for IMO.
  8. The Celinder Update is priced about the same or even slightly lower than a Sadowsky NYC... depending on options, etc. I actually find the Update 5 a great value for the money, considering the fit and finish, the sound and playability, and the true 'hand made' nature of that bass. They are not cheap, but are priced similarly to their competition IMO.

Not sure about the preamp problem post... something doesn't sound quite right about that... :confused:
  9. I was the guy who got ripped off by celinder on the preamp, I posted the story in the celinder megathread. Chris told me several times over the last year that I'd get my money back (because I've since sold the bass it was for), and then when I ask him where it is he tells me he's really sorry he forgot, and most recently he said he had some sort of personal issue. I still haven't got my money back, and I still think chris is an idiot (to put it in nice language). Celinder's are great sounding basses, but dealing with chris is way to risky, he just makes excuses and doesn't follow through on his promises.
  10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Nope, I just got a quote for both, and they are pretty much the same. It must be the mighty dollar working against us here. Exchange rate isn't exactly in our favor, and it would be nice is Celinder would change their price list. It's still like 2004 price list on their site!
  11. That's a drag and there is no excuse for that. Kind of unbelievable to me. I know that I've sent him a few emails through the last year or so and never got any response, but it wasn't a big deal, since I purchase his instruments through Glen. I assume you didn't purchase the bass through Glen, or knowing Glen, he would have just sent you a check and pounded on Chris. I hope you get this resolved... for both your sake and Chris's future business viability.
  12. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Don't take my replies wrong, I'm not trying to bash or hate or whatever. I'm sure Chris is great, and has his act together.

I'm just saying that I went throught he same decisions you are about to go through :) So just offering up some of my thought process.
  13. +1 on that... good advice!
  14. I actually contacted Glen to see if he could help, he tried but apparently chris doesn't listen to him either. I bought the bass used, not from glen. I was really impressed with glen though, I will probably buy something from him in the future because he was great, but I don't think it'll be a celinder. The last thing chris told me was that he'd send a check from L.A while he was at namm, nothing yet and I don't think it will show up. I just don't think he really cares and like I said, that's too bad because the basses are incredible.
  15. I'm sure you will eventually get your cash, but it's still a depressing story. If I ever run into him, I'll slap him for you :ninja: . I talk to Glen quite often and will mention to him to tell Chris that this behavior is not doing him any good, and really tarnishing the good rap his basses typically get on the site.
  16. Maybe I will get my money, but I'm not really concerned with that. I don't like being lied to repeatedly, and refunding a couple hundred bucks isn't going to get my respect back. I have talked with chris about all this, and he seemed like he wanted to "make things right", then he did nothing, so I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, to the original poster's question (and sorry to derail your thread), I love my sadowsky but I agree they can be more modernish. I've got a Lull that has a nice old school sound, and the Lakland Joe Osborn's that I've played fit the bill perfectly if you prefer all passive.
  17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Try Shur Basses.
    John Shur makes as good a jazz bass as there is.
    Have tryed his jazz, side by side, with USA Lakland, and Sadowski.
    All three are great.
    But to me the Shur combines the best of all three basses.
    Made great.
    Great quality woods. the rosewood fingerboard was A+.
    Vintage style, feel and look. nailed 60's fender vibe.
    Sound. does the lakland retro sound, but is active, and has more punch, and focus, tha lakland.
    Not a modern as Sadowski, vintage, with more detail.