1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What just happened? High pitched squeal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Busker, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I turned on my rig and got a high-pitched squeal.

Here's the signal chain. Yamaha active bass, pedal board powered by a Voodoo Labs power supply, head, cab.

I started trying to eliminate things, and I changed heads. Same thing. Eliminated the pedal board, same thing. Changed guitar cords, same thing. Changed batteries in the bass, it quit.

Is the bass's preamp going out or something? I was under the impression that if the battery in the bass got low, it would just quit, not squeal like crazy.

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    When the battery runs low, bass makes funny noises for quite a while, until it stops working completely.

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    So nothing is wrong with my bass or rig then? That's great news.

4. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    It could be your input jack. The Hartke kickback 15 that I use at school has that problem. It squealed out during a performance once but everyone thought it was this one guy doing his SOUL scream.

*edit
    oops I didn't read the whole post

5. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    About how long should a 9V battery last, even if you leave the cord plugged in?