Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What keeps you motivated?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sigma B, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I really couldn't figure out a proper title - I hope this one works.
    Also, this might not be the best category, but it gets a lot of traffic and I feel this topic is interesting and possibly helpful to some - of course, mod's it's up to you

I was talking with friend of mine the other day. He plays in a local band. I, on the otherhand, do not. I used to play in school, but no longer have the time. Out of our discussion I just thought of something that interested me.....

This is mainly directed to bassists who don't play with a band. How do you stay motivated? What keeps your interest? Playing in a band was so much fun, but for those of you who do not - how do you keep playing the bass enjoyable, fresh, and new? Basically what makes playing the bass by yourself more entertaining than actually being part of a larger group?

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I don't know if I could keep playing if I didn't play with other people. I can go a few weeks with just practicing by myself, but after a while I really do get a serious jones to play with others.

Making music, to me, is about getting together with other people, and adding your voice to theirs to create something better than you could create by yourself.

I mean, could you practice basketball every day, and stay motivated if you never actually played a game with other people (or at least planned to at some point)?

Just my $.02

Don

3. JazzerHF

JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    motivation isn't hard for me, I just love the music. I've only been playing bass for year, and i've only played with people a couple times, and that was amazing!!! but due to the circumstances at my school (aka stupid preppy boarding school with kids that know jack **** about music) I don' really have the oportunity to play with others most of school year. I'm also a trumpet player, i practice that even more than i practice bass what goes through my head is that I want to be good enough to play what I want to play, whenever I want to play it, and with whomever I want to play it. And its almost impossible to do that unless you practice on your own. But of course playing with other people is essential to musical growth.

[edit: stupid whomever whoever grammer rules :) ]

4. geronimo

geronimo

Dec 16, 2004
    I just recently, got out of the military. I have been playing bass for 6 years. 3 of those years I had literally 2 hours to play each day at the max. I had almost given up on bass, but now I have more time than ever to play.

Playing with other musicians is definitly the way to (stay in shape.) Without a real need to progress, or write you will needlesly find yourself stranded. :meh:

5. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Thanks guys....

I without otherpeople to play with I too, fell stranded in a wasteland. I wish that there were some way to make solo play more interesting. By no means am I trying to be negative, it's just a reality that I currently am dealing with.

I thought building a new bass would help cure this, but lately i'm not so sure. perhaps I'm just second guessing myself.

6. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    You might try and get a loop unit, or a program like Acid where you can record things on your PC. It's kind of like playing with other people, and you can write parts that way and play with yourself :) (no pun intended)

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Playing along with CDs is one way to make your solo practice a bit more fun. The drum machine or looper as suggested above will really help you write parts too. If I find myself bored with my normal practice routine, which consists of some warm ups, and some song practice, as well as general improvising along with other music, I'll learn a cover Im interested in, or at least parts of it.

I find challenging myself to a point is what most motivates me. Sometimes I pick things that are too hard and get frustrated before I see progress, and often Ill switch to something else if thats the case. But I always revisit old covers or parts that I had trouble with in the past as my skill increases. Its nice to be able to pull off something you couldnt come close too before. Seeing progress over time is what keeps me motivated, but I have to challenge myself to see progress.

8. Bass playing is more of a hobby to me. I have jammed with a few people here and there and i had some offers from a few bands to join (not my style though, plus i dont have the time with my busy work schedule), But i just love music alot...and enjoy feeling "creative" rather than sitting around watching tv.
    To keep motivated i just keep listening to music...sometimes hearing a specific song might make me want to learn it or create something inspired by it. Always trying to learn new things helps as well.
    Also i have alot of friends/family who are in bands or play instruments and that helps greatly too...when you surround yourself with people who like to do the things you do you can be easily inspired. IME anyway.

I have to honestly say lately im not very motivated...every year the weather works hell on my necks causing me to do constant adjustments before i can play. (Canada's weather is an unforgiving b*tch)
    But im looking to remedy that as soon as possible. Composite necks just may be in my future...and has my interest sparked.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i sit my ass in front of my pc look for some new tech to learn and i start working on it. At the moment im learning mak kings slap style on 16ths. when i get my new amp ill center into double thumping. Tabbing is also fun when youre playing alone.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    To answer the question:

I like playing bass.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I do not play with a band. In the past, I have. But, at this stage of the game, I really don't have time to juggle between keeping my hottie happy, my kids supported, & my job performed adequately. I'm not kidding, we're ALWAYS behind on simple tasks around the house. We've got more dirty laundry than clean, if that gives you any idea.

Anyway, pretty much everyone in the family enjoys listening to me play. Even the NON-musically inclined. While, that gives me the freedom to practice when I want, that doesn't really motivate me.

What motivates ME is, knowning that in a couple of years when some of the kids move out, & time starts to free up, I am already planning on hooking up w/ a local group. Nothing extravagant mind you, easy going laid back folks... doing a gig every week or two, mostly covers.

At this point, I come up w/ a composite list of titles I enjoy, that I would enjoy having on a set list, & I run through them... Currently, it would take me about 7 HOURS to run thru my list. But, Its always exciting when you remember a song from years ago, that you want to go back & learn.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I enjoy just pluggin in and fartin around and making up some grooves. I dont know why but i get much satisfaction when i make up a cool groove, and it keeps me playin.

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a very hard time staying interested if I'm not in a band. I really enjoy the dynamics of playing with other people. It is what I love about playing music. I have no interest in solo bass composition. Perhaps later in life.

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have to admit, it's hard for me to stay motivated. Mostly because I usually feel like what I'm doing sucks or just feel like I'm wasting my time. But I usually get inspired by something and learn a new song, work on ear training or something.

15. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    cool thanks guys. it feels good knowing that others feel similarly at times

16. What keeps me playing bass...

I would have to say the satisfaction of playing, or learning something very cool sounding to you. I have always loved learning new basslines or melodies that I thought sounded very cool to me, and I apply that mentality to the bass.

That and I still have fun with the instrument.

And lastly, I am still hoping that it will one day get me laid.

17. Here's a site worth viewing www.pgmusic.com
    You can download the demo which is free for a few months then when that expires download it again :D
    Alright I'm giving you the cheap way out but if you do decide to get it , it will be well worth it it's like having a band that plays in good time and never misses a beat
    But nothing beats live musicians though
    As for motivation I mean I hardly lack it because I enjoy it so much that it's taken up most've my life and better yet I get paid for it

18. The fact that I place no strict practice schedule on myself keeps me motivated. I play bass when I feel like playing, which keeps me wanting to continue playing it.

Sometimes I don't play for a week at a time (not often) but, just as the notes that are not played in a great bass line are as important as those that are played, time away from playing bass makes me want to play more.

I will never be on the cover of Bass Player, and accept this.

I am content. Life is good. ;)

Mike :)

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sometimes playing in a band setting can be un-motivating if it's not a positive siutation all the time. What motivates me that it's a challenge, bass is a second instrument for me, drums were my first. When I would play drums I would hear all these great basslines. Right now it's broadening my horizons, learning different things on bass, styles, chops, techniques. I have been playing with other musicians recently which has renewed my spark. The fact that I have a good ear musically lets me keep thinking that if I can hear what's going on one day I can play it if I still can't play Jaco very well yet, or pop and slap very well. You never can be good enough, you always have something to learn and it is something that I can do for the rest of my life and take with me where ever I go.