Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Ken Smith is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nemo, Mar 15, 2006.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hi, I have got an offer for used Ken Smith bass. The seller sent me some photos. According headstock it is Burner, but body shape is like on BSRJ. Moreover, the body wood looks like ash opposite to maple used on BSRJ models. Is it a neck and body combined or what? I am confused. He wants about $1200 for it. What you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think it's a Burner, but you might want to e-mail Ken Smith himself. He takes an interest in his basses, and he would not want you to be misled.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am pretty sure it's a Burner series. Nice basses, but I sold mine, which had better wood combinations, for only $800.

4. Man thats tough.I think I saw this on the bay.I e-mailed the seller and, he said it wasnt a Burner.These pictures show the body having a different shape.
    The Hardware ect. is just like my burner seen here http://usera.imagecave.com/bassman275/Smith/

I still think its a Burner w/that headstock.(never seen anyother Smith with that headstock).Hmmm...:eyebrow:
    Oh yeah $1200 isn't out of the ballpark(although it is top dollar IMHO) for a nice
    Burner,very nice basses.E-mail the man himself(Ken) He'll know!

5. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Definitely a Burner. Only Burners actially say "Ken Smith" on the headstock.

Nice one though. Pricewise It's on the high-side for a non-deluxe.

Only caveat is to be sure you like the tighter spacing at the bridge.
    (I believe it's 16.5 or 17mm as opposed to the 18mm on the USA Smith's.)

IMHO Burners were a very nice series. Crafted in Japan and assembled in the U.S. Smith shop
    if I remember correctly.

6. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
  7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yep, that is a Burner.

8. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    Stop guessing and get the serial number. Then you can call Ken and find out the strory behind it. He helped me that way and I got my first Smith as a result.

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Burner.

I'd say it's priced a bit high, but I'm no expert on the market.

Marshall

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's still a Burner. The old Burner series has the CR bodystyle, then the new BSR"B" burners have the newer BSR bodystyle. Still the same-I think made in japan bass.

1200 is too much. Closer to 850 sounds more of a realistic price. I sold a real BSR-5 last month for 1500 so yeah 1200 in my opinion is too much.

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    +1 on all posts, especially the price.
    way too much.
    a little more and you could find a used usa if you're patient.
    but who knows?
    play it, maybe it's the ultimate bass for you...
    but i would haggle for sure.

12. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I 'by-accidently' ran over a 6 string version of that bass (in it's case, off course) and the case completely protected that bass... it was one of the tear drop shaped ones.

Very durable case and the bass sounded great!

14. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Thanks for all the info guys and the Man himself :)
    It should be one of the latest Burners. I will check the bass in person and look to the string spacing. Btw the price may seem high for you in States, but this is price here in Czech, it means shipped overseas and duty cleared. And still it is cheaper than new Fender MIA 4 strings here..
    I will keep you updated.

15. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Just short update - I passed on this due to tight string spacing. Being it a Burner series it was no must-buy bargain for that price anyway.