What key is Astring 3rd fret?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by canaman, Jan 16, 2001.

1. canaman

Jan 16, 2001
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the 3rd fret on the A string is a C...it's just a single note though, not really a "key"
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    1)Find middle "C" on a piano
    2)Go DOWN 2 octaves
    3)There's your "key"
  4. To find the note if you havn't memorized it, you should learn about steps. Two half-steps make a step. the distance from A# to A is a half-step, G#-A, is one half step, etc. Each fret changes the pitch by a single half-step. Keep in mind thhere is only a single half-step between B and C; E and F.

You should count up half steps as you go further on the fingerboard.

To answer your question:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And that's also presuming that you're tuned to concert pitch!
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hum... I just checked my bass, and none of my keys are tuned to C.:confused:

I guess I could tighten up the low B a semitone.

7. you are all assuming that he didn't misspell and mean "what key is a string 3rd fret" in which case it is still not a "key" but the notes would be Bb, F, C, G and for you low five stringers D, you will have to ask john turner the rest for the mega-stringers.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well that makes even less sense than the rest of the thread! ;) If someone has taken the trouble to put the A in upper case, I think this is a pretty safe assumption. I sometimes wonder why we bother! :confused:
  9. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I think that what he really meant to say is "in what key is 'Astring 3rd fret'?", which is a not so famous song composed and arranged by Charles Mingus right after composing "e's a flat ah's a flat too". ;)

10. Mik Walker

Mik Walker Supporting Member

Dec 26, 1999

I haven't posted on here since June 2000. Wonder why....?

Allo Ed!
  11. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Welcome to the board. If your just getting started playing bass ... Neptoon and Ed answered your question.

BTW, filling out your profile is a big help in providing a reply to inquiries such as yours.
  12. You also need a sense of lunacy to hang around here!