1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What key is this?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dan Kahanamoku, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I don't have perfect pitch or an instrument with me, but as I'm hearing it, the root chord doesn't happen until the vocal comes in.

3. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Looks like the link went corrupt. Here's the YouTube video...

I'm just asking this question because I have an audition this week and they gave me this song to learn. It's transcribed all over the internet in the key of D and I know that isn't right. I'm guessing that's to make it easier to play with open chords. I'm not too excited to play a song in Bb. Not exactly one of my favorite keys. Why would you even write a song like this in that key? Is that to benefit the singer?

4. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Yes, in a band with vocals you want to write the song in keys that are comfortable to sing.

I don't have my bass with me so unfortunately I can't help.

5. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Yeah I guess my old band tuned down for my singer. I might do the same for the audition. Like I said, Bb... :scowl: I need my dots!

6. How about Eb. I an wondering if they tune down a half step.

I hear Eb, Bb, and Ab for some of the chords

7. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Ahhh, I think that's it. I get stuck in the notion that the first chord is always the root. Which, in this case, would be a Bb. I knew something was wrong. Thanks for the help :bassist:

8. Joel S.

Jul 9, 2008
    If it's tuned down, you should ask them if they transpose it to a different key from the original. My bands usually don't play songs with flat tunings in the recorded key.

9. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. So I can tune down a half step and play in D if they play it just like the recording, correct?

10. Joel S.

Jul 9, 2008
    nope, you'd tune down a half step and play E if it's Eb.

11. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Oh yeah, my fault.

12. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Why dont you ask the guitarist what key ?

13. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Mainly I just want to be ready when I get there and not have to be thinking about transposing keys. It's a pretty simple song but I have a tendency to get nervous at auditions :eek:

14. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    i mean....phone him, find out the key, then learn the song, before you go!

15. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Bb is a really, really standard key. I prefer it to the open string keys, actually, just because I'm so used to playing in it. It's definitely a "horn" key, horns like playing in it, because of the way they're tuned.

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    or learn it in both keys. Good practice! ;)

17. Bb deserves some love! Every boring pentatonic line would sound like old-school jazz with it :)

18. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    I've never played country music before. I just quit a hard rock band and decided to take the first audition that came along. The unusual keys aren't bad, but this major scale stuff is for sure a new challenge. My last band played 15 songs, all in the same key. I think getting out of that was a good idea, but I sorta feel like I'm playing a new instrument too. We'll see how it goes... :bag:

19. Dan - don't stress. Just learn it by ear in whatever key it's in. It sounds simple enough.

Country, blues, rock, metal - they are all based on patterns. Most of them are simple (unless you're dealing with that math/prog/freakyourbrainout stuff). Just take your time - go slowly - get a pencil and paper out and find the notes with your ears.

You'll see the patterns soon enough and when you do, you'll probably be able to move that song to whatever key you need to - especially if it is in Bb and you learn it that way first. By learning it in a non-open key, you'll be forced to learn it in position and not rely on open strings. Because of that all you'd have to do is move your position to whatever key they want.

Talk about scoring big points! It happens all the time that you get to a session, the singer walks in and says, "Ya know, I just don't like this key. Yeah, I know we've been doing it that way for months now, but could we try it a half step down?"

If you can roll with that, you're golden.

20. Dan Kahanamoku

Dan Kahanamoku

Apr 17, 2008
    Killwaukee
    Well said, well said.