1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Key Signature Would Blast! Relate To?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rarbass, Sep 29, 2008.

1. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Alright, so I've been working with arranging the song Blast! by Marcus Miller for my school band, and we were thinking about key signatures. Personally, I thought the song fell into the D Phrygian, or something similar, being that it starts on D but it has the D#/Eb in there as well. That might be incorrect, as it also has both the F and the F# at different parts. These could be accidentals, too...

What I'm asking is, if it's in D Phrygian, wouldn't that relate to Bb Major/Ionian, therefore having 2 flats?

Or would it go under D Minor/Aeolian, in which case it would relate to F Major/Ionian, and have 1 flat. Either way, accidentals could just be put to take care of any notes not included, but I'm just wondering for my own curiosity.

2. not sure if I am quite understanding what you are asking but if the final is D then yes wouldn't Bb be Ionian? I would use 2 flats for the modal signature, but I am no theory expert so I could be wrong. I am also not too familiar with blast.

3. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Well that's what I would think, but I am also no theory expert, hence my asking. Thanks for replying though! It seems to make sense to me...

4. I am not quite sure how you are coming to this D Aeolian concept. What was your reasoning there? The Bb Ionian makes sense to me too though.

5. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    D Aeolian being D Minor, though I think we were discussing the D Harmonic Minor. As for how we came to it, it was a class of us that were discussing it and someone came to that conclusion at some point, it seemed to fit I guess.

6. Auditroph

Auditroph

May 13, 2008
    The D Phyrigan scale and Bb major/ionian scale have the same notes, so they would both have two flats when written out.

7. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I think I've finally figured this out (very late reply) that it's a "D Double Harmonic Minor". Someone told me this, maybe someone can confirm?

8. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Is it twice as harmonic as regular D minor? Does it have 2 leading tones? Or is C# actually Cx (double sharp)?

9. It seems to me it's an altered scale of a sorts. Not sure which one however as my knowledge of altered scales is somewhat limited. Either that or the extra changes from the standard modes you've mentioned aren't necessarily part of the song, but more part of the chord being played, a modulation of sorts. It's hard to say without knowing the song but I'm sure someone can clear this up better than my feeble attempt.

10. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I seriously doubt you would interpret the song as being modal D double harmonic minor (major). That just doesn't happen. There are about 50 other things that are likely to be going on besides that.