Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kidna quality are the Eminence Alpha Series Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fr0me0, Jan 12, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/alpha.html

I don't wanna lug my Big Ben around to practices anymore. I jam with a lot of people and leaving my gear at the rehersal space is not really an option. I Wanna build a smaller 2X12 cabinate to take to rehersals.

A tone to die for isn't really the issue here. I'll leave that for the shows. I just want to to be heard and not have to lug half my weight up and down stairs multiple times per week.

49.99 doesn't seem like it would buy much. But i don't wanna go overboard for a practice cab, any suggestions for a good 12 inch driver that will get the job done but not cost an arm and a leg?

2. I'd go for the Delta series myself. Better low frequency handling.

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    do you really think its worth paying twice the dough? considering its never gonna be played outside of people's basments etc.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    IMO, you arent super concerned over tone.

if its the toneyou arent worried about, jsut run a model using the software using the speakers you are unsure of. compare them. maybe the problem with 1 over the other is less of tone, and more of one NOT being suitable for reproducing low notes (defined by you).

post the cab dimensions and if i get bored tonight i will look up both, and see what the useable low frequency of both cabs will be. Maybe THAT will help you decide.

also, a 2x12 of one driver may get blown away by a 1x12 or even 1x10 of a different driver.

jsut a suggestion here, and soon others more in the know will chime in, but how about... decide on the volume/ low end you want. then find a driver that will do it and design the box for it. This INSTEAD of deciding you want a 2x12 (or whatever speaker arrangement) and then trying to find something to fit that for a low price.

just my 2 cents.

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    or, if is purely a basement rig, then jsut buy a used avatar or some other such thng. used gear is all over the place, the price is usually right, and you dont have to build it!

what state are you in? i know a local deal here (NJ) that could be PERFECT for you.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'm actually from Canada havn't had much luck on used gear, every one seems to think it was worth what it cost brand new.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The Alpha series are cheap because the suspension systems on the speakers are very basic. The suspension travel (X-max) is very short, and with the laws of physics being the way they are, that means:

1) It will be very easy to make the speaker move further than it is designed to. The results will be distortion at first, and if you keep pushing the issue, speaker failure.

2) The low frequencies genereted by a bass guitar will make the speaker move further again, exaserbating the problem.

Guitar speakers use this short X-max to their advantage. You will often hear guitarists talking about speaker cones breaking up as though it's a good thing. The same sound in a bass cab isn't desirable.

I'd only use Alpha's for applications that don't require any low frequency reproduction. The Delta's are MUCH better, definitely worth twice the dosh because they'll do the job. The Delta 12LF is used in the Avatar and Schroeder cabs so it's proven to work. If weight is an issue, look at the Deltalite series, but bear in mind the Deltalite 2's are going to be released soon. Rumour has it they're a vast improvement on the current deltalites.

8. Contact Dave at avatarspeakers.com. He has awesome prices on the Delta 12lf speakers. You won't even consider the Alpha when you find out how low they are.

BTW for practice a good 1x12 might be better than a mediocre 2x12.

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    thanks for the tip, the 2's might be worth it, or maybe I could even get a set of 1's for much cheaper just cause the 2's came out. I'll have to wait and see.