Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of amp should i get!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Ok i need soome help on choosing a combo amp to but. I have been playing for about 2-3 months and am pretty decent in playing im not a pro but i can play a good amount of music. I play with 2 other friends of mine and possibly a third me on bass one on guitar and one or drums. i want to know what i would need to be able to use to play with them my friend right now has a 15 watt amp but if going to upgrade to probably a 60-100 watt amp and the drums well just drums...we may add a 2nd guitarist but not sure. I need to know what amps would be good for playing with them and being able to practice with regulary...plz give me some suggestions...

-Vince

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Peavey TNT combo amps
    Eden Nemesis combo amps
    Hartke combo amps

what is your price range?

3. I can probably go up to about 700$ maybe a bit more but the cheaper the better heh but give me all the suggestions you got!

4. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    you'll probably get a lot of "whatever you like" type responces, which is true, but that's not what you asked. you just wanted a suggestion as to which amp you should get for your needs, here's my suggestion

avatar 1x15, 2x10 and a used ampeg b2 head off ebay, all for probably around 700ish, if not ampeg try hartke, gk, carvin, or swr workingman series

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for 700 you could get

2 avatar 112's or a 4x10 (depends on whether you want portable and loud or slightly less portable and louder)

and a 300 watt head like a hartke 3500, ampeg b3r, swr WM300....poke around on ebay

i'd definitely go with the avatar speakers though. it doesn't start getting better until you double what they cost.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  7. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Ashdown Electric Blue

8. While probably almost no one will agree with me, there was a time not very long ago at all that i was using a Hartke 2115 Combo. I think if you got that or it's older brother that has a 5" cone in it as well, i think you'd be more than satisfied. The aluminum cone really allows it to come out more in a mix and be heard, so you will feel louder for less watts, at least, this has been the case for me with my experiences. I have used this to play shows and practice with a band who had a rediculously loud drummer, he had no idea what soft drumming was, and loud grungy guitars, 2 to be accurate. Again, it's all a matter of opinion, but i felt that for the money, the Hartke 2115 really did the trick.

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Peavey TNT. which i have, has great tone, has no problems keeping up with drumms and a 60w all tube berihnger blue devil. it will run ye about $600

[​IMG]

or this carvin which is just like the peavey, just no external cab option. this one is about $400

[​IMG]

10. jbasser206

jbasser206

Jul 31, 2002
    Western NY
    Ampeg B-115, Great amp for practice and SMALL clubs. Have had mine for 2 years now without a hiccup!

11. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Go to the http://www.markbass.it/ markbass swbesite, I use a markbass head sometimes, and it is a really pretty sounding one! Mark bass produce a lot of combos amps, go to the page and if you need ask information by e-mail to the markbass staff.

12. anthony_spare08

anthony_spare08

Nov 18, 2002
    Hazard,Ky
    Go ahead and get a good expensive amp if u think u will be playin a while.Mesa Boogie Amps!