1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of amplification did Paul Jackson use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chief redcok, Jun 30, 2012.

1. His sound with Herbie is unbelievable.. let me know!

2. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    I remember an article/interview with him years ago in Bass Player mag. I recall that he used Polytone Amps originally, but I think he used four of them, with a separate pickup for each string going to each amp. Not 100% sure on this. His pickups were custom made Hi-A brand (which was Bartolini's original brand, later changed to his surname). Or something like that.
    Later I know he played Through an EBS Fafner amp, and was using a Neuser Cloudburst bass. What he played with HH was probably that earlier setup.

3. Thanks!

4. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    indeed, jackson had an incredible tone on those live clips that have surfaced. one one clip i Think he had some of those early bose prosound boxes, because herbie was endorsing them for awhile. in another clip he looks like he's using a pair of B15S's. one of favorite players ever! paul jackson is, like alphonso johnson and the much under-appreciated michael henderson, a completely original thinker. as badass as it gets

5. Thank you, one of the most incredible clips Ive ever seen. Thanks!

6. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
  7. that's awesome and very interesting.....I had no idea that bass (Geraldine) was so complicated....would love to play that.

8. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    that 3pin xlr goes into the box, which among other things probably has a di transformer built into it. pretty damn cool idea for that era

9. Ahhhh really nice bass, reallly ****ing nice