Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of amps can handle detuning?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Feb 22, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Im talking anythin that can handle detuning best(brands,cabs,preamps,poweramps,solidstate,tubes,US made Britan made).Anything,it doesnt matter.Just as long as it handles severe low tuning with somewhat NASA accuracy,list it.(pretty please)

2. Most any amp can handle detuning, there shouldn't be a problem with lower than normal frequencies. The cabs, however, will be a different story. If you're going as low as you seem to indicate I'd suggest a Bag End ELF (extra low frequency) system, complete with specialized (EQ/crossover/whatever?). With that setup you should be able to hit the "Brown Note" without breaking a sweat.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    How low is this "Low" you speak of, Low G below B? Low F# below B? Octave down E? Low C# below Octave down E (like that 11 string monster that I saw a pic of on here a while ago) Tell us how low you are talking about because there are lots of cabs that go low, but give us the info so we can narrow down the search.
    :bassist:
    peace
    -Ben

4. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    well lots of different people have lots of differnt tunings they like.I perfer G+ tuning.My 50 watt combo handles it well 95% of the time.

5. This is about as low as you can go without subs-

http://www.acmebass.com/

My Low B-4 makes people want to poo (in a good way!) :bassist:

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Wow...

Any amp should be able to deal with extra low tunings, just make sure you have a few 18 inch speakers handy.. :eek: