What kind of an Ebayer are you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Beef - I place my max-bid from the day I see it, let nature take its course.

14 vote(s)
  2. Stealth - I stalk the auction in its final minutes and delvier a craftybid in the last minute

50 vote(s)
  3. Obsessed - I hawk-eye the auction whenever possible, it's even my homepage. I place multiple bids

14 vote(s)
  4. Other/bid only on carrots (whats that all about anyway?)

10 vote(s)
  1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

Edit: Arrgh, I lost the auction by 50 pennerth :mad: :spit:

I bidded obsessed.

Edit 2: I just realised I wrote 'bidded' and not 'voted'.. I guess I picked the right poll option then ;)
  2. Personally, I have my own style. I'll set a bid, and if someone else goes higher, I use the stealth method, and bid at the last 5 minutes. Otherwise, I just use the "Beef" Method
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have yet to use eBay.

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Obsessed as hell. I hitt refresh every 5 seconds, its my homepage, yes. I place bids with under aminute left. Ive even been burned a few times in under 5 seconds left. (once on a ncie BC Rich bass) so now i wait till about 3 seconds left, lol.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    oh yeah, winner of the coolest eBay auctions ever.

Rob cockerham of www.cockeyed.com

check it out! :)

6. Ditto..
  7. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I'm a sniper. I decide what I want, how much I'm going to pay, set up a search and wait. If it has a reasonable buy it now then I'll hit that. If not I'll bid with 5 seconds left. If I'm outbid I wait for the next time - as just about everything will come back up if you are patient.

The problem with eBay and the 'beef approach' is that some people will bid more than an item is worth simply as a matter of pride..
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I scored my Steinberger in "beefy" mode. Knowing that the trans-trem alone can sometims go for upwards of $750, and the bass alone for $700, I bid pretty high and hope the next lowest bid isn't too bad. I scored the whole thing for $950! Shawing!!

I dont' get it why everybody doesn't use the "beef" method. Just put in the max you would be willing to pay, and if somebody outbids you, they just saved you a bunch of money that you would have been unwilling to pay in the first place.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I'm somewhat on the poor side at the moment, so I go with the, I'll spend $200 and no more route and if I get outbid, it's easy to justify, I already have enough basses. LOL.

But Buy It Now is my best friend :)
  10. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    another ditto. My guitarist is an Ebay freak though....but he's scored some deals, like a folding Palm keyboard for a buck plus shipping that would've cost like 100 bucks normally.
  11. If you do this someone can outbid you by one penny. Since you're trying to buy something in a competitive aution, the optimum strategy is to give the competition the least possible amount of information about how much you're willing to pay. The only way to do this is to bid at the very last moment.

Personally I prefer to use "buy it now" when available at a good price. Otherwise it takes too much of my time to monitor auctions.
  12. double ditto
  13. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Total stealth mode in the last seconds via an online sniping service like vrane.com You set up your max and the service waits until the last 5-10 seconds and does your bidding for you. You can be in bed asleep. I've won everything I've wanted and at reasonable prices. I especially like when music stores put stuff out there that's been around too long. In the last year this is my score on Ebay:

Brand new Fender USA Precision w/warranty: 410.00
    Brand new USA G&L L2500 w/warranty: 925.00
    Brand new SWR Workingman 12 w/warranty: 375.00

Many people despise snipers, but all is fair in love and war...and auctions. :D
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because not everyone does that. It makes sense, see, some people may bid, say, in increments of 100, until they are outbid, then they bid again. Now, if you wait till the last second, they wont have time to rebid, whereas if you do it with many days/hours left, they will have time to see they were outbid, and then rebid.
  15. i cant use ebay anymore...

well I CAN, but heres the story:

I bought a few items from some guys, I pay and everything and I get my shipment in, just fine. Yet no one leaves me any feedback. This goes on for a short while (a few auctions here and there) and nobody EVER left me feedback. A while later I win another item and I totally forgot about it and never payed for it (whoops :oops:) and there I go with -1 feedback.

So now everyone refuses to deal with me :meh:
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Make a new account.
  17. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hey JR - I'll set up an auction for you for some strings or something. You 'buy' them, I 'ship' them, leave each other feedback and your back up to zero.
  18. I either hit the BIN button or use a paid sniping service.
  19. MY eba mode depeneds on a few factors :- the item itself, whether or not it has been on a few times orthis appears to be it's first outing, whether or not the item was bought to be sold (check out people's feedback - you can find what they paid for stuff....), how much money I have at the time!

I've went over what I wanted to spend once, by a few quid, and then one the item by a penny! I guess someone took the beef approach, I sussed and won by one penny - still saved a significant amount though!
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    BIN, snipe, or "Garfish" depending on item.