1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of band am I in?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TSkills, Apr 29, 2010.

1. TSkills

TSkills

Jul 1, 2009
    So I've been playing for about a year and a half now (mostly self taught but with a few lessons too) and I feel like the time is right to join a band. But what kind of band should I join?
    I like to listen to pretty much all types of music, from metal to jazz to classic rock to funk...and I love to play all styles. So how do I know what type of band I should look to join? Or what style if I decide to create my own group...

2. Metal.

3. FuzzAddict

FuzzAddict

Oct 30, 2009
    That about sums it up. Metal. You can take everything you learned and make your mark on a metal band. That's what I did. But if it's not your thing, don't bother, don't let anything hold you back from expressing yourself.

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    The above comment isn't all that bad. All those styles actually come in really handy in Metal. I fyou really are into Jazz you might wanna look at some Progressive Metal. If more into the Funk then maybe have a look at some Rage Against The Machine kinda thing. Just mix and match to make it suit you.

5. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    whichever band you can get into. you can't afford to be picky at this stage

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Base the band on "A" preference and one that fits the abilities of the musicians you can surround yourself with. Trying to merge to many things will make it tough to find other musicians, and even tougher to find a fan base. Initially you cannot be picky. It's better to do something than it is nothing.

IMHO.

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I would recommend finding other people who are also musically open minded and see what comes out, rather than trying to pigeonhole yourself into a particular style or genre and then attempting to work against it.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Play everything! Don't genre shop, just hop in a band with folks you get along with. What matters, particularly with a first band, is getting used to playing with other people.

If you had to choose, pick something less technical and more groove-oriented. That'll let you get your head around playing with other musicians.

I would suggest pop, R&B, alt/folk rock, blues or reggae.

9. mmjazzbass

mmjazzbass

Jan 24, 2010
    free jazz/metal. check out ((speak)) for inspiration.

10. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Above all find something that is fun. I have been in a few bands and some very successful and some not but the thing I have learned is the best band is one that its fun and gets you excited to see the other band members.

While its always hard to find that, that's what I have taken away, if its not fun its not worth it.

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    pick some songs, then perform them in a different style.

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

A band is not a spouse, you don't have to pick just one and swear off all others. If you find some guys playing jazz who could use a bassist, go ahead and play with them. Find some guys playing funk, play with them. No reason not to play jazz on Thursday and funk on Friday, or whatever. And if you don't have a whole selection of different people to play with, just find someone you get along with who likes at least some of the same things and play with them.

13. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Power funk, obviously.

14. +1.

ANY band experience at this point is better than surfing Craigslist for 3 months in search of the perfect gig!

Just get out there and start playing! Then you'll meet more bands and musicians that might fit your personal tastes! :bassist:

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I agree - but most people I know, weren't thinking about a genre - they just started off playing with friends who were also into music and wanted to form a band!

16. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Norwegian Whaling Dirges?
    Death Polka?
    Gangsta Opera?

Just kidding, like nearly everyone else is saying, don't be picky, just get out and play!

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Play what people want to hear. It's probably cheesey as all get out, but the crowds will be good.

18. You want to play bass for Carrie Underwood.

19. I want to play bass for Lady GaGa.

20. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    play rock :)

just kidding, whatever you can find... search the local ads looking for a bassist, otherwise start jamming with as many different people as possible and if you find people you like and want to do music with, start a band with them :)

you can try to start your own band right away, but in that case, you better know what you wanna play :) I'd suggest a cover band first, you can never learn too much from pros of the last 50 years... I'd start a 60s (+/- a decade) cover band - it's great for parties, does not require special equipment and gives you strong fundamentals... you know, pop, rock, soul, r&b, reggae, blues, some jazz maybe, bossa nova, funk, disco... they did it all in the 60s, people mostly recycled afterwards (which is not bad, don't get me wrong... in fact, 60s music is also just recycled old music, but the e-bass - and guitar - really revolutionized everything...)