What kind Of band are you in or music do you all play. Original, Cover, Blues, ECT.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkster, Nov 8, 2000.

1. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I just wondering what kind of band you are in or what kind of music do you play Original, Cover, Jazz, Blues, Country ect.
    I play in a Pop original band with a little Rockabilly thrown in we call it Psycobilly.
    I'm also in a Led Zep tribute band thats ending 13 year's of performing in March, along with my cash flow to control my GAS
  2. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    currently, we're doing all 80's metal. Krokus, Maiden, Priest, DIO, Dokken etc etc.

Once we secure a drummer and singer, we'll concentrate on some originals.
  3. Well in my band we play original Pop. No I do NOT, say again, I do NOT use a pick!;)

http://go.to/maryceleste for the band page and songs :)
  4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I play in a cover band, mostly indie/new alternative rock like Hot Water Music, Foo Fighters, Alkaline Trio, Beastie Boys, Weezer, etc.
  5. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Our band plays about a 50/50 mix of originals and covers. Mostly rock/metal with a little punk thrown in, Iron Maiden, Godsmack, Exodus, Metallica, Green Day, Black Sabbath, Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, etc.
  6. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Aside from Freelancing in Jazz Groups and Theatre Projects, I play Original Folk-Rock with a Singer/Songwriter named JoAnn Vaccaro http://www.JoAnnVaccaro.com as well as a Dave Matthews tribute called the Tripping Billies http://www.trippingbillies.com

I'm not home much, I was contemplating moving my stuff into storage and staying at a Hotel the Two nights a week that I'm actually home!
  7. Funkster, you and some others have my band's CD so you know what we sound like, but for everyone else.. I guess it's just rock. Some of the songs are 2:30 long and sound like Green Day, and some are 8:00 long and sound like early Smashing Pumpkins. It varies, which keeps things interesting. Having a drummer would keep things more interesting!
  8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I used to play in a progressive metal cover band,stuff like Dream Theater,Fates Warning etc. but I recently quit and just made a heavy metal band...where my heart really is!:) We'll play a few covers,some of them epic-oriented,and then try to compose some stuff and see where it goes...the covers will come from Black Sabbath,Helloween,Manowar,Bathory etc.
    Oh and we have a female opera singer!
  9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My primary band does about 70/30 original cover. I am starting a side band with other local band members for an all cover money making operation. We are going to do some Black Sabbath, Posion, Motely Crue, Drivin N' Cryin, Nugent, Judas Priest, etc.
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm in a cover band that plays 80s and some 90s pop, some blues, funk, disco, some country, and rock. We like to be diverse! :)

I'm also in an original band. We're piano, vocals, bass, and drums. We play a mix of alternative, ethereal, and jazz. We have songs that have heavy Tori Amos, Dido, Roger Waters, Miles Davis, Meters, and Motown influences.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm in a few bands:

Fatwall Jack is an 8 piece band with 3 horns and female vocals doing blues, swing and R&B. I play both upright and electric bass, we do a mix of covers and originals and have released one CD (recorded just before I joined).

Dirty Rice is a zydeco band, I play 5 string electric and share the lead vocals with 3 of my bandmates. We do covers only.

Spitwhistle is an acoustic rock band. I play upright bass, we have a drummer and the frontman who plays ukelele, dobro, fiddle, accordion and dulcimer as well as writing and singing all the songs. We have finished our first CD but it's not released yet and we have not gigged for almost two years choosing to wait until the CD came out. We do 100% originals.

In the little free time I have, I do free lance playing with various bands, always on upright bass (more in demand because fewer guys play it).
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Slaves to Rust

Rock, about like 3 Doors Down, though that was to get the drummer to stick with us. We are heading Hard Rock, about like Godsmack, MOP(old) Creed, Staind, and jsut about any given hard rock band out there. I'm working on bringing in a partial techo element, like Spineshank, Static X and Pitchshifter, as well as some hardcore (Check Mudvayne), and more groove oriented sound. I want the band to be hard rock/metal, they want rock. I'm working on winning the style contest

Over all: Straight ahead hard rock, closest to Godsmack. Soon: Something more original, incorperating world, techno, hardcore, progessive, groove oriented style.
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, at the University, all people who don't play classical are into Jazz. It's like there are only two music styles in the world.:mad:

To be fair, there are quite a few people (foreign born or raised students, mostly, who also play other styles. I'm in a R&B combo, but it's more of a Jazzy/Bossa group. I've also played straight ahead jazz, rock, pop, country and even a little Lambada.

Will C.:cool:
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Brendan, i dont ever...EVER...want to disgrace hard rock by calling Creed hard rock! More like ball-less opera clone rock!

Im interested in your band though...got any sound samples or anything?
  15. Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    My current band is a fairly typical punk band, mostly a modern thrash sound, with a bit of an 80's Oi! influence. We do mostly originals, but for a bit of kicks we'll rip apart an older song and play it.

Just remember, you asked :)
  16. glover

Jul 3, 2000
    I´m in a 70s hard rock/stoner rock type band. We´re doing original music, writing together during long jams. Our first record, an EP, is being released right now. I would compare the style to early Sabbath, but a lot more psychedelic. The bass is an important thing for our sound - as it should be!

17. I'd say my band was a kinda 85/15 split covers/originals. We only have 2 original songs so far, which means we don't have many other songs that we can play (together, at least...)
    We play whatever we feel like playing. What usually happens is:

"Hey, what're we gonna play?"
    "I dunno, what do you wanna play?"
    "Ummm...how about {enter song here}?"
    "Ok, I guess. When're we gonna practice?"
    "I dunno, whenever we're all free."
    "Ok then."

Well...maybe not quite THAT laid back, but we're just doing it for fun, and we're still in high school, not old enough to go out & play in bars or anything, so we don't have the extra motivation of money, however little it may be. :D
  18. Ogden

Apr 4, 2000
    The band (as yet un-named) that I am in have been together for almost a year without a gig, because we a trying to get an hours worth of original music for our first set. We will play some covers, Sabbath, The Who, Anti-Nowhere League, Hendrix and Monster Magnet to keep the crowd happy. Our originals are sort of hard rock, mixed with grunge, mixed with a classic rock edge. Sort of.

The reason we are so committed to getting a lot of our own tunes is because, in my area of the world there are a lot of people who think they can play, so they quickly throw together some covers (usually the same sort of stuff; Basket Case, Smells Like Teen Spirit, and other stuff by Nirvana, The Offspring, etc.) and play a **** gig. The most uninspiring and unentertaining, and boring, rubbish week after week at the only venue for miles.I think the standard of musician is getting progressively worse, which really scares me. No wonder the charts are filled with this Hip-hop/dance ****. There is a drought of original bands making good records. More importantly there aren't enough music fans buying the few good records there are.

Thanx, i feel a lot better for that bitch.
  19. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Hip Hop is just a kinder word for rap. Rap isn't even music. Rap is a bunch of profoundly stupid and irrlevant lyrics thrown behind someone else's music. I mean, after all, those guys don't play their own instruments or anything. Rap promotes drug use, violence, and sex. DOWN WITH IT!

By the way, why are all the worst rappers black?
  20. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    JWC! You are evil, but RIGHT.