What kind of bands are in your area?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 5, 2005.

  1. Matt Till

    Matt Till

    Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't want to hog up any of the hardcore thread with complaints... that's all that bands do in my area! If I go to a show, at least one of the bands will be hardcore... usually much more. There is a splash of indie here and there... but for the most part hardcore hardcore hardcore... I'm sure some of them are metalcore... but... let me see if I get this

    Hardcore = metal influenced punk... but don't call a Hardcore guy metal.
    Metalcore = metal influenced metal influenced punk... but don't call them metal.


    Anyway, I'm wondering, is that's what all bands around the world are doing? If you go to a local show, what's happening?
  2. Matt Till

    Matt Till

    Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't hate all hardcore... but 75% of the bands try to sound like the other 25% and do a horrible job at it.
  3. BassGod


    Jan 21, 2004
    Around here, 'Screamo' is the rage. There's a lot of death metal too, but the death metal bands are rarely any good. But damn I hate screamo. Even the name sounds stupid. Actually, now that I've thought about it, there is about three or four bands in my area who don't fall into those categories (us being one of them).

  4. burk48237

    burk48237 Supporting Member

    Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Around here everyone wants to sound like the White Stripes, UUGH!!! :crying:
  5. Brendan


    Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There is no scene here. Tragically, although the greater area is about 500,000 people, among them, it seems none are willing to be in a band, emo, death metal, pop/punk or otherwise.

    Which is really, really weird.
  6. nataku


    Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    out of all the local shows ive been to only 2 bands havent been variations of "screamo" or "hardcore"
  7. Mr.Phil


    Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I see a lot of blues, rockabilly and r&b motown things around here.
  8. 43% burnt

    43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

    May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    In CT there are alot of shows. As far as local bands, its mostly hardcore. A few good bands, and a bunch of ok bands. There is also alot of metal-core (i hate that term) bands. And metal bands. I play in a Metal band and we get booked on both hardcore and metal-core bills. We usually get a mixed response at all-ages HC shows. Seems like the younger kids aren't sure if if it's "cool" to like our band. But at 21+ shows, or mostly metal bills people seem to love us...I don't really understand it.

    Edit: Theres alot of other stuff too. Rock, Folk, Bluegrass, Jazz, Etc..I'm not really exposed to those scenes though.
  9. canopener


    Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cover bands, cover bands, and more cover bands. And loads more of one man, acoustic cover guys. They all seem to cover the same songs, too.
  10. Against Will

    Against Will Supporting Member

    Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    At school: pretty much only bad metal/hardcore comes through, with the occasional lame tribute band. On the campus it's largely indie rock, with a few people trying to cash in the noise rock trend.

    At home: Lots of old school hardcore and thrashcore, as well as a lot of improvisation experimental sound and noise artists.Very cool.
  11. Mental Octopus

    Mental Octopus

    May 24, 2003
    alot of really of trippy sounding bands around here, as well as a good deal of ska.
  12. Passinwind

    Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

    Jam bands get the most gigs (durn hippies!), then funk, straight-up blues, country, classic raWk cover bands, and some shoe gazers in the city an hour away.
  13. A lot of bands around here try to get the exact same sound as some older rock bands (Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC DC, Beatles, etc.). The other half goes for the screamo/emo/political punk crap. It all sounds terrible to me.
  14. bassturtle


    Apr 9, 2004
    It's Omaha so we got the whole Saddle Creek Records thing - Bright Eyes, Cursive, etc. Also, a lot of alt country stuff.
  15. it's almost all screamo or hardcore around here.
  16. BassGod


    Jan 21, 2004
    I really hate how narrow minded some kids are. They should like the music for what it is, not because it's what's cool or popular at the time.

  17. McHaven


    Mar 1, 2005
    is there a difference between all these "core" style bands? I never hear one. Scream=hardcore=metalcore=crappy houston death metal

    thats how it goes here
  18. Brendan


    Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't forget heartcore. No, I'm not kidding. I wish I was.
  19. Petary791


    Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They're all crappy emo bands... :(

    There is one really good "british punk" band, but they're like 40 minutes from me. I've seen i'm twice.