Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Kind Of Bartolinis Does My Bass Have?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was hoping someone could identify the kind of Bart soapbars my bass has so I wouldn't have to take the strings off and unscrew the pickups-I'm looking to order another pair for my other bass.

They measure about 4 1/4 in. long x 1 1/4 tall, and have one screw on either side. Here's a pic if that helps. I couldn't find a matching set on the Bartolini website (which is pretty out of date). Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Unfortunately, you can't tell for sure without unscrewing them.
    They're bart P2 shape, which come in a number of different windings.
    The N/T Deluxe Elrick I had was equipped with bright wound quad coils.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :meh: Ah well. I'll unscrew them tomorrow. Any idea if they're a custom order or something, as none of the retailers I've seen carry the two-screw shape?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Alright, I just took the neck pup out as I was too impatient ;) Etched in the copper foil was xxP25CB. I'm guessing that's the P2 shape for 5-string in the Classic Bass model, but I'm not positive, as "xxP25CB" doesn't appear to be on the Bart site.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've found some errors in bart catalogs between what they say the screw configs are and what they are in reality. They show them in the catalog with 2+1 screw config, I've only ever seen them with 1+1 in reality.

IF you look here: http://www.bartolini.net/quick_price_list.htm#5strbassp2 you'll see the 72P25C pickup listed as dual coil - deep tone. The B suffix is added to neck pickups, the T added to bridge pickups.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm glad to hear that the 1+1 is the standard in reality. The xxP25C listed seems closest name-wise to what's written on my pickup. It's the quad coil, which is the same type you had in your Elrick, correct? I imagine that Rob Elrick uses mostly the same type of Bart soapbars in his basses to avoid confusion. I'm going to call Bass Central today to see if they can get me a set, and as they're an Elrick dealer, I imagine they can contact Rob if there's any uncertainty.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Josh. You'll have to play it sometime (and it's fretless sister I'm looking to get the new Barts for) :)

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, although I think mine were also an extra bright wind. It had a lot of top end. I've since sold / traded the neck through and now have a bolt on, I think it might have the regular wound quad coils as it doesn't have as much natural high end as my other one did. I actually prefer the bolt on.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just ordered a comparable set to mine. My fretted currently has the xxP25CB pickups, and I ordered xxP25C pickups, which are slightly brighter but not too much. Maybe these are the ones you had in yours, or the xxP25Ks, which are even brighter.

I was told that there's pretty much no chance of getting the CBs for a loooong time, so I got the closest ones. Thanks David, as well as Grasshopper and Gard at Bass Central :)