1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what kind of Barts sound like Lane Poors?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Hey all, I had a Flea Bass a while ago with a Bartolini pickup in it...it sounded awfully close to a Lane Poor pickup and I've seen alot of similar comparisons from people here. Does anyone know which Bartolini MM model Modulus uses for the Flea Bass?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it's the one Bart makes per Mod specs that come in their basses. The SD made to their specs is also very similar.

The MMC and MM (not CB) Bartolini models I had sound similar bt not as much as the Mod Bart. Also have an older Bart quad that sounds similar. 90% of the Barts I've had sound similar to LP's. Aside from the SD mentioned, the only pups I've heard similar to LPs.

3. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Sorry...... no idea. Have you tried contacting Modulus?

My experience has been that no Bartolini pickups have the relatively flat, uncolored, and extended frequency response of Lane Poors. While the brighter Bart CX humbucker I've tried has a more open sound than other Bartolinis I've heard, it still has an inherent low-mid warmth to it. I don't find the LPs to be near as rounded off in the top end. There have been many positive reports about the Classic Bass (CB) series. Perhaps they are closer.....

If clear, natural sounding, extended frequency response is what you are looking for, I suggest the Q-tuners. I'm very happy with the improvement in fidelity from replacing a Bartolini C with a Q-Tuner BL-5 in my Pedulla Rapture 5.

4. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I was thinking q-tuners also, but only from what I have heard. no experience YET, but I do have a few modulus lane poor MM4s and a few LP logo MM4s.

You will see them in various basses I have yet to modify over the next few months. I am most excited about putting one in a Brice 8 string along with a LP Jazz neck pickup (the bridge is going into a PJ bass along with an Lane Poor P pickup.)

Also wanted to say none are available and I don't foresee that changing. i paid a premium for them, and that is probably what you will have to do when they pop up.

Thanks, Joe