1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of bass?? Any ideas???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gard0300, Feb 14, 2013.

1. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1360871640.413289. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1360871660.249037.

Homemade?

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It's a mid-60's Teisco EB-18. Some of them had dot markers, some had the more typical offset blocks. Some (the Buegeleisen & Jacobson US imports) were branded as Kent.

3235417TeiscoEB-18.

3. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Any good? There is one around. Didn't know if I should pursue. It's pretty cheap.

4. Hi.

Well, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ;).

Or the feel in the hands of the player rather.

Most of them are pretty horrible throughout, but they've become rather sought after, probably because there's not that many left.
    Compared to their original numbers anyway.

If it's local to You, try it, you may even like it.

That one in Your attachments looks like someone has spent a lot of hours with, probably the nicest one I've ever seen.

Regards
    Sam

5. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    He wants 80.00 firm.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I haven't played one, but it's safe to say the build quality isn't going to be that great. They were pretty cheap to begin with. Plywood body (refinished), nato (?) neck. Still, if the truss rod is working and the bridge can be intonated, for $80 it might be a fun bass to have around. It would probably suit a style-conscious band playing Chicago blues, for instance. Certain Teisco pickups are highly prized nowadays, though that seems to be more of a guitar thing.

7. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Thanks for all the info guys. May pass on this one. It's probably not worth an argument with the wifey.

8. Hi.

Over here pondering whether to buy it or not would be meaningless by now, someone would've snagged it already :).

IIRC I paid about 175€ (not counting the unbelievable side deals that came with it) and sold it for about 250$ when I had a similarish 70's Japanese 2 PU short scale a couple of years ago.
    Mine was nowhere near that good looking.
    I've seen some "original" ones go for absolutely insane prices on evilbay.

The main problem IME is the pickup(s), they're extremely prone to squealing feedback at gig SPL and have very poor handling noise rejection.
    Potting does help, but sometimes ruins the characteristic tone of these inferior PU's.

Regards
    Sam