Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of bass did Baghiti Khumalo use on Paul Simon's Graceland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Jun 27, 2004.

1. I love his tone!!! any clue what he was using?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The fretless was an old Washburn.

3. seriously? wow...it sounds GREAT!

4. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Yeah, but be careful. If you buy one it may sound like a Washburn! :bag:

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've seen him play a Modulus and sound exactly the same.

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I thought he used a F bass

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Firstly, his name is Bakithi Kumalo. His various webpages show him playing Washburn, Parker, G&L and Lakland basses but I know he endorses Washburn basses.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´ve seen many pictures of Bakiti playing Warwick basses, also on a bunch of Washburn adds in Bass Player

(Useless Info: I hate Washburn guitars, they are so cheap!!!!!)

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The Washburn bass he used on the Simon albums he found in a store, maybe even used, long before he he was an endorser. Long before he played with Simon.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't know much about the guitars but the basses (upper end) are pretty nice and well made and American made! I've played a few and I liked them. I'm even considering buying an XB925 (I think that's the model) as the local store has one for $750 and the list price is over $1K.

11. I'm afraid on the recording and the tour it was an Ibanez.
    Not sure what model it was but it looked like a coated fretboard. I think it was a roadstar perhaps? There's video of it, I think it was Saturday Night Live, I think it was '86. By the way that has to be one of the coolest fretless tones on the planet. :)
    Dirk

12. Nope, it was a neck-through Washburn, not an Ibanez.

Mike

13. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    i don't think he used 1 single bass for all of the album. I met him earlier this year and someone asked him this same question. I believe the answer was that he used a fretless p-bass that was sitting in the studio. I could be wrong, it was early in the morning. I know for the tour he was using a washburn but I think most of the tracks may have been done with the p. jmfr (just my fuzzy recollection)

14. riksilvers

riksilvers

Feb 2, 2005
    UK
    What effect did he use to get that gruff fuzzy sound ?

15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I actuall beleive it was a Fretless Washburn Vulture. The wing series.

16. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yup, that's what Bakithi plays now (or recently). On Paul Simon's most recent tour he used a fretted and fretless pair. He sounds very different on the fretless 925 than he sounded on the older basses and the Modulus (I've heard him play portions of the same song on the different basses).

I don't think he used any effects. Which song(s) are you referring to?

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Irony comes in many forms... :smug:

Emphsis mine, of course.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    With a guy like Kumalo, I don't think the bass is going to make a heck of a lot of difference. He could sound great on a Wish.

19. Word, Munji- I played Steve Lawson's(flatwound-strung Modulus)fretless bass last Saturday- I couldn't get a halfway decent tone out of it. 20 minutes earlier, it was making whale sounds, & string section sounds, & guitar sounds- the sound is, as they say, 'in the hands'.

20. Actually, it is quite easy to sound great on a Wish, because Wishbasses sound great. You see, my talkbass friend, that is the saving grace of Wishes (probably their ONLY saving grace, mind you) - their tone is AWESOME!

In case you haven't noticed, I don't much care for wish jokes.