1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of bass do I have here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Just won this off ebay the other day. Curious is to what it since i got for cheap and going to turn into a franken bass maybe. here is a pic of the body. I know it looks like a gibson sg but the headstock looks like a paddle head with no name on it.Not sure of the body would but told its really hefty,

Attached Files:

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Oh man - I seriously considered bidding on that! That's a pretty sweet looking bass, man!

I don't know what kind it is, but they did almost everything imaginable to copy the Gibson. I'll be interested in hearing how it sounds/plays.

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Looks kind-of like an EB3?? Not positive.. I have one of those on the chopping block... from an old project... if I recall correctly the tuning machines should say "gibson" on them if it is one... But I am likely completely wrong! The truss cover on mine says gibson also... I am frankenbassing it though.. I picked mine up for 40 bucks when I was a teenager off someone who needed cash... Had retrofitted (poorly) bartolini's on it...

4. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks for the info. Ill check more into when i recive it. Im pretty sure its not a gibson though but thats totaly fine with me as I got it pretty cheap.Close up of the bass has no name on the tuners and I was told that its scale is prolly full size standard and this has a bolt on neck were I think most gibsons were set neck? Any ideas for some cool mods?

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's some kind of Oriental copy of a Gibson, probably early 70s. Worth $75-100 tops.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's similar to a Gibson EB3, except it has two mini humbuckers instead of the huge ass pickup right on the neck.

Probably a cheap asian knock off. Worth $25 at the most.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: Looks like Kay or maybe Ibanez copy of Gibson EB-3.