Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of bass do I have here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Just won this off ebay the other day. Curious is to what it since i got for cheap and going to turn into a franken bass maybe. here is a pic of the body. I know it looks like a gibson sg but the headstock looks like a paddle head with no name on it.Not sure of the body would but told its really hefty,

Attached Files:

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Oh man - I seriously considered bidding on that! That's a pretty sweet looking bass, man!

I don't know what kind it is, but they did almost everything imaginable to copy the Gibson. I'll be interested in hearing how it sounds/plays.

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Looks kind-of like an EB3?? Not positive.. I have one of those on the chopping block... from an old project... if I recall correctly the tuning machines should say "gibson" on them if it is one... But I am likely completely wrong! The truss cover on mine says gibson also... I am frankenbassing it though.. I picked mine up for 40 bucks when I was a teenager off someone who needed cash... Had retrofitted (poorly) bartolini's on it...

4. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks for the info. Ill check more into when i recive it. Im pretty sure its not a gibson though but thats totaly fine with me as I got it pretty cheap.Close up of the bass has no name on the tuners and I was told that its scale is prolly full size standard and this has a bolt on neck were I think most gibsons were set neck? Any ideas for some cool mods?

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's some kind of Oriental copy of a Gibson, probably early 70s. Worth $75-100 tops.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's similar to a Gibson EB3, except it has two mini humbuckers instead of the huge ass pickup right on the neck.

Probably a cheap asian knock off. Worth $25 at the most.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: Looks like Kay or maybe Ibanez copy of Gibson EB-3.