what kind of bass do I need?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hvingsand, Feb 21, 2005.

1. ...or do I really need a new bass at all?

I currently am the owner of an OLP MM-2, which works quite godd for me. Anyway, I'm looking for a new and more expensive bass. Like Fender Jazz bass or precision. (or the original Music Man, of course... instead of my copy)

My kind of music is rock/powerpop/punk (like weezer, jimmy eat world, green day, ash...) I have played bass for a long time, but I have never played serious (and that's why I just have my cheap -and good- OLP) We don't earn any money playing, so my budget isn't superhigh :meh:

Do you think I'd be better off with a new bass? Like a new fender precision (or something similar)? And do you think I should buy an active or a passive bass?

By the way, I'm a 4-string'er. And that's how I'll stay :bassist:
  2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The OLP will be more like the P-bass than the Jazz. Also more toward the Stingray or Bongo. Do some homework about what you like and dislike about your OLP. Then play play play. As many basses as you can get your hands on and figure out which one works the best for you and how you play. Don't buy something because it is more expensive, you will not be happy.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Those Dirnt P basses look pretty cool. BadAss bridge, split pickup, passive volume and tone. If it had a jazz neck I'd get one.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    So, are you trying to spend money just for the sake of spending money or do you have a real goal in mind? Your post sounds like you don't really need another bass. If you want another bass, that's fine, but it is hard to tell what you really want from your post.
  5. hmm... What I'm looking for is a bass with great sound, both if I drop the E-string to D, or if I play high up on the frets.

What I like about my OLP... It's good looking, the sound is good (I think), the tuning stays stabile for some time..

What I dislike isn't much.. Some parts seem to be made of cheap materials. I don't know how to say this in english, but that little ring where you input the jack has loosened. And I cant turn it really tight back into position.. it just pops loose again. (sorry for all the un-english talk :p )

Anyway, what I really wanted to know is if a new expensive bass (say Fender precision) will sound much better than the OLP for my kind of music... And if it's worth it, as I'm just a happy amateur :hyper:
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you are happy with your OLP, a setup and some repairs from an experienced repairman could do wonders for your bass. Many folks have replaced the pickup in their OLP's for great sonic results- and all this at a cost less than a new 'Ray or somesuch. Or try running your bass through an outboard preamp (I believe Sadowsky, Aguilar, Tech 21/ SansAmp and others make those).

But it's really up to you to decide whether having work put into your current bass is a better or worse investment in the long run, financially, than just getting a new bass. From what you say, it sounds like a few minor repairs with an experienced repairman (fixing the jack, cleaning the pots, setup) will make your bass go from ambivalent to excellent.

Seriously, sometimes you don't even need a new bass and some time with a good repairman/tech will really bring out the beast.

I don't think having a 2nd bass as a backup is necessarily a bad thing in case something goes awry at a gig.
  7. ok, thanks.

as I'm pretty much a amateur, what kind of new pickups would do wonders? And how much does this cost?
    And is it impossible for me to do it myself?
  8. This actually reminds me of some really good advice a friend gave me in a story format...

He was a kid going into a music store determined to buy the guitar of his dreams, money in pocket, after a long time of saving up.
    He played every fender guitar in the store MIA, MIJ and MIM alike, and a few hours later walked up to the shop owner and
    because he liked that MIM strat better than the MIA strat he was very confused and explained his dillema to the store owner:
    "The guitar I like best isnt the best..." (most expensive)
    to which the guitar shop owner replied:
    "Why isnt it the best if if felt the best TO YOU"?

I think there's a little something in that for all of us.. :p
  9. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Great story.
  10. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    if youre going to downtune to a D on a 4 string , you might need to get the truss rod adjusted because the necks cant take teh odd tension that stramge tuning or uneven tuninsg put on the neck. keep the bass you have and go buy a 5 string, than youll never need to downtune
  11. Okay, people..
    Now I've done some research.

I've come to this:
    -I'm very interested in a MM stingray or S.U.B
    -I think I'll leave the Fenders alone. They're just so common, and look just like all standard basses (please, don't be mad at me for saying this :) )
    -A new alternative has come up: Gibson Thunderbird.

As I know very little about this thunderbird (except from it's good looks), could you fill me in on this one? I know the guy in Ash uses it (which are one of my favourite bands, and pretty much the music I'll be playing), and I really like the looks of it. How does it sound compared to MusicMan (or fenders)?

And how is the S.U.B compared to the Stingray?
  12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Seriousely, play every bleepin thing that looks good to you. You may suprise youself. Get your jack fixed and take youre time loooking.
    Looking is fun and many a musiscian has been disapointed because he bought something based upon ads, beliefs, starts etc. Especially without trying it out. Somebody said it earlier, Play, play play.

Find the instrument first, then findthe deal.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  13. Yeah, of course, that would be the best thing to do.

My problem is that there aint many guitar-shops here, so I can't just play every bass I want to hear...

But I do know you have many different opinions, and different basses fit different genres, so picking a $1000 bass based on this forum would be extremely risky...

Having said all that, I must tell you that I'm not very professional, and would probably not notice the any big differences between those basses anyway. As I said earlier, I bought the OLP just because it looked good, and was cheap. And I'm very happy with it, even though I now want a bit more quality and better sound.
  14. Get the Geddy Lee Jazz. You won't be dissapointed :cool:
  15. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Also, try a Warwick.
  16. Okay I can't help you then. ;)

Seriously, for your style, I don't think you can go wrong with a good ol' Precision. Simple, solid, time-tested design.
  17. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you want something less common, a Carvin B4 with bridge humbucker may be a good choice. Go for alder or ash, anything else will be too warm for your style. Then again, it will be tough to find one to try ahead of time.
  18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I can't believe I've just read this.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where are you located? Your profile doesn't say.

The SUBs have a matte(not smooth) textured finish, and the base models don't have a preamp. They also don't have a countoured body, so aren't quite as comfortable as a Stingray or Sterling. They are good basses for the price.

The Geddy Lee Jazz is also an outstanding value for the price. I know you decided against Fenders, but you should check this one out before you spend any money.
    The Thunderbird has a great sound for rock, but the ergonomics aren't very good. It has some serious neck dive, which causes wrist problems for some people, like me.
  20. I am located in Norway (North-Europe, in case you didn't know) How much would I have to pay for a new Stingray 4 in USA? Here, I'd have to spend something like $2500-$3000... :crying: So I guess it would be cheaper to buy it from across the sea. (especcially if I manage to trick the customs station :eyebrow: )

I've just got an offer of a new S.U.B for $738 (included shipping to Norway) Is it great/good/ok/bad? The same guy offered a Stingray for $1338 (included shipping), so I really think a S.U.B would be more than enough for me...

Anyway, Pedulla... Are they within my range of price? I've never heard much about them, but I know Chris Wolstenholme in Muse uses pedullas. They're probably too expensive, but anyway... Would be fun to know if anybody knows them.