Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of bass does Greg K use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-end, Nov 2, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I saw a couple Offspring videos on MTVX last weekend and I noticed that their bassist, Greg K., has a pretty unusual looking bass. It sorta looks like a Jazz bass, but with a 2+2 headstock with the tuners arranged really weird and a rickenbacker style bridge pickup (but without the cover). I have no idea what this bass is! Someone shed some light please! :D

By the way, the videos I saw were, "Original Prankster" and "The Kids Aren't Allright."

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
  3. rocktheganj

rocktheganj

Apr 17, 2001
    Illinois
    he uses an Ibanez ATK bass, and I think that Ibanez discontinued these models, but I saw a used one at the Guitar Center near my house, and I have seen the ranging from $400 (used)- $1000 (new).

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yup! its an Ibanez ATK! :D

but you posted the pic wrong. you posted some kind of link instead of an actual picture.

to post a pic, you need something like www.picture.com/mypicture.jpg and then you enclose it in img and /img brackets.

So it would look like

[*img]www.picture.com/mypicture.jpg[*/img]

except theres no asterisks.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    He is using the newest version of the Ibanez ATK
    (Available only in Japan and Europe)

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ok im glad i was right. thanks for the pic posting lesson guys. if youre looking for an ATK i say good luck... they are great basses, but kinda hard to get a hold of. i would suggest you put a want ad on the net. i got a lot of replies and ended up with an older USA made version, but i love it. usd korean made versions can be had pretty cheap, under 300 bucks, the USA versions are more expensive. mine was 450 used, but its a factory second. i have seen a mint USA 5 string brand new for 900 at Attinas music. i havent seen or played any of the current models that are being made now. the new ones have 24 frets instead of 22, and a smaller body. they also do not have the tension free neck, but some of them have an added single coil pickup in the neck position. hope i was of some help.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    whats that ibanez bass that has J pups but has a weird looking pickguard? Matt Freeman has one here:

[​IMG]

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i believe that is an ibanez TR. its basically ibanez' take on the J bass. once again.. i think. i used to be an ubanez buff, but ive kinda fallen way behind the times.

9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I saw them last summer and... I could only barely hear him. Is this often the case?