Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Kind of Bass does Phish bass player Mike Gordon use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WildBill, Feb 25, 2003.

1. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I really like the shape and sound of his 5 string and I wanted to know if anyone knew what bran it is. The name of it escapes me.
    Thanks
    -Billy

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    NOT the mod's i assume?

3. i know he has two modulus fivers...beyond that, i have no idea. i dunno if he uses anything else.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    He uses a modulus Q5 that was custom made with a 34" scale. You can read about it in bass player magazine Feb 2003. That is definitely the bass he was using when I saw him on a rerun of SNL this past weekend...oh yeah, and he plays with a pick.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    He also used two customs made by the guitar tech... That guy also made Trey's guitar. Cant remember his name.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    His custom 5 string basses (and Trey's guitars) were made by Phish's soundman Paul Languedoc. The one he played through much of the '90's (which eventually got stolen, I believe) had a koa body with a maple top and a maple neck with ebony fingerboard. The first couple of times I saw them play in '90 and '91 it had EMG J pickups which he later changed to Danish-made Morch p/u's and electronics.

The other Languedoc has a semi-hollow maple body with a koa top and 2 EMG humbuckers. I'm pretty sure that on Junta and Lawn Boy he played a G&L L2000. I've always loved Mike's playing and tone regardless of what instrument he uses.