Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of bass does sam rivers have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 7, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i just saw him on ICON and he had what appeared to me to be flamed maple warwick streamer stage II with a translucent green finish. however he had LED's that were in matching green (which looked bad ass) but it was a spector neck/headstock. might he be taking the necks of one and bodies of another. i know spectors look an awful lot like warwicks, however this bass wasnt all polished up like spector is. it had that "dim" warwick finish to it.

2. could be a spector- they do oil stain finishes- eg. the longhorn models they built for Jason Newsted.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ah, ok. well that would settle that part. i know he used to go exclusivly with warwick, but i guess he switched to. does that mean i shoudl sell my warwick for a spector?:rolleyes:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nope, Warwick Streamer Stage 2, green stain, LEDs, and I'm not sure if he still has Ibanez put on their Monorail II bridge (he did on either one or a couple of his Warwicks).

I actually watched closely, because I thought it looked 24 karat pimp...

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yep. Thats NO spector. I always liked his tone on the albums though.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so definately a warwick? well then whats with the spector logo up top or was it a warwick and im blind.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Blind. :D

But they are in the same place, and simmilarly shaped headstock, so in the quick editing and second long shots, I can see how one would get confused.

8. Yeah, it's definately a Warwick, a pretty sweet looking one at that too.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea thanks...damn my eyes

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Let's flip that around shall we? The NS-2 Spector body shape was the basis for the Warwick Streamer... the NS-2 basses came out in '78 or '79, the Streamers weren't around until the late 80's.

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What's ICON?? where can I see picture of this mysterious bass??:confused:

12. Coloured Warwicks are sweet! The typical natural finishes are my only beef with these otherwise awesome basses. Anybody got a pic of this bass?

13. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I was going to make the same point, although not with as much detail.

14. Q-Phonix

Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It was a warwick. It had bass lines pickups.
    Spector usually uses EMG's.

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    What I remember from Sam Rivers was

he played a 90's Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 string with LEDs by Simms. I know he borrowed Dirk Lance's Warwick Streamer Stage II 5 for recordings, but for live and for the music videos, he used SSI 5s. I don't know about the ones you saw on the MTV ICON, but I know for a fact but he playd Warwick Streamer Stage I 5s.

D

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, it was a SSI...check the wide spacing...flame maple body...and the soapbar pups...yep, SSI...

[​IMG]

just stain that thang green and install some LED's

17. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown