What kind of bass does that monkey have in the add on the left of the screen?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by melvin, Aug 28, 2001.

1. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I think it looks like a Conklin but I could be wrong. Does anyone know for sure?
  2. looks like the GT-7 I saw in BP magazine last month... I dunno
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    It may be a Conklin, but I don't think it's a 7-string - the neck is too narrow, and if you look at the black area of the pickups, you can just make out 4 lines, so probably a 4-string...
  4. i'd say it looks a heck of a lot like the Ibanez SR3000...
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i say it's a conklin groove tools 4 string...note the pointy thingy at the back of the body and then the configuration of the controls...it's screaming conklin.
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    yeah it's hard to tell because he is covering the top horn, that would be a dead giveaway

I agree the pointy nub at the rear of the body might point toward Conklin though, and the controls are set up like the GT's

also, the neck looks like an in between color - not light enough to be maple, but not dark enough to be rosewood - could be the purpleheart

man I'm bored, I'm analyzing a darn dirty ape...
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    FYI, the monkey pic is also Paul's new avatar.
  8. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    I've always wondered what Paul looks like... now I know! ;) He is one hairy guy! And I thought Planet of the Apes was just a movie... :D
  9. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Can't tell if it's a 4 or 5 string, but it's got to be a Groove Tools. You can tell by the way the strap lock is positioned under that little lip, and if you look long and hard, you can almost pick out that "trademark" locking input jack.
  10. Er, I can't really see from here, but it looks more like an ape than a monkey to me...

(it's all in the tail, you know...)

- Wil
  11. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I like Paul's old avitar better. The 7up dude!
  12. I think the real question is what kind of watch he's wearing...
  13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    That ad is like looking in a mirror for me; Monkey has been my family-bestowed nickname for 37 years... I take offence at the comment that "monkeys just make us look bad"! I think this ad has finally pushed me into becoming a supporting member, but dang, Paul, I wanted that as MY avatar!
  14. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I wonder if hes playing drums on that bucket too...:D
  15. You know Mark you don't have to do much. Just take a picture of yourself and you got an Avatar of a monkey.....
  16. that is correct !

ape = big primate minus tail ( human, chimp, gorilla and urangatan )

monkey = small primate + tail
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No that's not Paul - he plays Double Bass only, as far as I know. I think this is his DB "in joke" - that is : " a Double Bassist's view of bass guitar players"!! ;)

Of course I meant that he thinks we're all into two-handed tapping! ;)

And DIY ! :D
  18. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    Actually, if Paul was an ape, he can do 4 handed tapping - 2 hands and 2 dextrous feet! ;)
  19. monkey, ape, bass, either way you look at it I bet the fretboard smells like poop.
  20. This reminds me of a joke:

Q: Are you smarter than a monkey?

A: How big of a monkey?