Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of bass(es) can sound like this audio clip?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Javy, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I really like this sound, but I have no idea where to start. What kind of bass(es) can get this sound?

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Sounds like a P-Bass to my ears.

In hindsight, I think I'm siding with the stick crowd.

3. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    naaah sounds like the bass side of a Chapman Stick.

pretty much any bass- just give it an extreme low action...

4. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    yeah, sounds like a chapman stick....or a bass tapped with more of the neck pup output.

5. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    This wasn't intended to be a quiz where you guess what was actually used in the recording, but two of you are correct---it is a Chapman stick, which I admittedly don't know much about. It just seems like I've heard basses that sound kind of like that, too, and I really like the tone. Good guess!

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    It does sound very neck pick up like, however. I would have guessed a P bass too.

7. this one!

[​IMG]

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    go out to the chapman stick website and check them out... part of the reason they have that tone is 1) the action, 2) the low tension of the strings and 3) way it's played- i.e. tapped.

if you want to get that sound without learning a new instrument (and it is very diffrent- don't let anyone tell you it's not) use very light guage strings, lower your action and solo the neck pickup-A p style or humbucker would be better than a single coil jazz...

Also listen to some of the bass style stick players- tony levin (peter gabriel and king crimson) and nick beggs (bunch of things... but check out Iona- good stuff there) to hear the stick's potential in a supportive setting- many of the solo stick guys play it like a piano- i.e. with a bass part and a melody part at the same time.... sounds great, but I like the supportive style better...

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    HEY!!

Nobody said anything about a pop quiz today!!!

:mad:

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    more of a tap quiz, I'd say.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A typical P-bass pickup won't have the high-end response of the Stick pickup I don't think, and would have too much "honk". A Lane Poor or EMG CS would be closer, I'd think. The P-pickup placement would be about right though - not as close to the neck as a J-bass neck pickup.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, your best chance might be to find a bass w/ a piezo bridge and magnetic pickups. A mix of the two will come close (along with light strings and low action).

Hmm, Lightwave pickups maybe?

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yerp, piezo's would definitely help for tapping.
    Nice broad frequency range on the ones I've tried.