1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Kind of Bass Guitar do you Play (Re-loaded)? BE SURE TO REVOTE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 18, 2008.

1. 4-string fretted

82.6%
  2. 4-string fretless

17.6%
  3. 5-string fretted

34.6%
  4. 5-string fretless

6.4%
  5. 6-string fretted

8.6%
  6. 6-string fretless

2.3%
  7. 7-string fretted

0.7%
  8. 7-string fretless

0.2%
  9. 8-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.3%
  10. 8-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.1%
  11. 9-string fretted

0.1%
  12. 9-string fretless

0.0%
  13. 10-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.1%
  14. 10-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.1%
  15. 11-string fretted

0.1%
  16. 11-string fretless

0.1%
  17. 2x and 3x course fretted (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

1.1%
  18. 2x and 3x course fretless (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

0.1%
  19. unlisted fretted/fretless (please elaborate in thread)

0.7%
  20. doubleneck 7-string fretted/7-string fretless

0.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    all of them. hope this helps.

2. The replacement USA Geddy Lee Jazz showed up today.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  3. I had time today to play the USA Geddy Lee Jazz for about an hour. It plays so smooth on the neck, and the pups sound so good! I don't regret getting this bass at all!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Eyesee7 likes this.
  4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    5-string fretted player number is 40% of the 4-string fretted number. Does not match basses available in the marketplace at all.

5. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    3 string fretless cigar box bass not on list :(

6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Anything more than 4 strings is Carrots.:D

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  7. If you own 5-string basses, is there any advantages to also owning a 4 string?

I know that for 7-string guitar players, there is an advantage, mainly where it comes down to chords and 6th string harmonics, it really helps to have a 6 string rather than try to play certain songs with a 7, but does this also apply to bass? In all my time with a 4 string, I've never come across such a situation where I thought that it would be easier to use a 4 string, but maybe there are situations in which it's advantageous?

8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have no need for four-string basses. My fives cover that. YMMV; for some, it certainly does. Peace.

9. Don DJ

Don DJ

Jun 30, 2016
    Durham, NC
    At first I voted just four string fretted (Yamaha BB1100S), but then I remembered that I have a Guild Ashbory tucked away that also needed to be recognized. It probably needs to be played, too. After my fretted chops get back up to speed.

10. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    4 4 string fretted shortscales, 3 hollowbody's.
    2 4 string fretless, 1 headless.
    1 5 string fretless.

11. I 'm getting back the Fender "PJ" Precision. a really nice bass.

[​IMG][​IMG]

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  12. Johns Bass

Johns Bass Gold Supporting Member

One option that I use that I didn't see was for an acoustic bass. Maybe those are lumped into the other categories but there does seem to be more of them being used these days. Anyway that was my 'Other' vote. It's a 5 string fretless Epi El Capitan.

13. I'll try anything, but I currently own 4 string fretted, a six string fretted, a six string fretless, and a seven string fretted.

14. addicted

addicted

May 23, 2012
    I played a 4-string P-bass, 4 string J-bass, and 5-string P-J bass from Yamaha.

Still unsure which one I like the most. I feel that it is easier if you want to do slap on 4 string and it is enough for most songs. 5-string gives you more versatility with the notes and I love the wider fingerboard somehow.

15. I will try anything. If I like it and have the extra money, I will buy it. As a result, I've bought a lot of basses I really didn't LOVE and ended up selling quite a few. I still do it too... I'm not married...

16. Velofixer

Velofixer

Jan 6, 2016
    My last bass (stolen 3 years ago) was a 4 string fretless P bass. I look locally to see if it has shown up and occasionally just to kick the tires, er, strings. Seems like a 5th and worse a 6th string hammers the resale value of an instrument significantly. Anybody else find this to be true?

17. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    4 fretted but only because of the band. we play rock, original tunes and me jumping around with 6strings doesn't really fit the image of the band. i do play 6ers but just don't have a single one right now, but that's about to change in the future :D

18. 4 and 5 string fretted for the most of us :) Well sorta expecting that

19. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Just changed the vote to:
    5-string fretted (2 basses),
    5-string fretless,
    6-string fretted (2 basses),
    6-string fretless, and
    7-string fretted.

[​IMG]
    Family photo w/o the 6-string fretless (and another 6-string fretted and 5-string fretted acoustic) .

20. A Hofner 500/1, & an Am. Std. Jazz.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    oldfartatplay likes this.