1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Kind of Bass Guitar do you Play (Re-loaded)? BE SURE TO REVOTE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 18, 2008.

1. 4-string fretted

82.7%
  2. 4-string fretless

17.7%
  3. 5-string fretted

34.5%
  4. 5-string fretless

6.4%
  5. 6-string fretted

8.5%
  6. 6-string fretless

2.3%
  7. 7-string fretted

0.7%
  8. 7-string fretless

0.2%
  9. 8-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.3%
  10. 8-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.1%
  11. 9-string fretted

0.1%
  12. 9-string fretless

0.0%
  13. 10-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.1%
  14. 10-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.0%
  15. 11-string fretted

0.1%
  16. 11-string fretless

0.1%
  17. 2x and 3x course fretted (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

1.1%
  18. 2x and 3x course fretless (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

0.1%
  19. unlisted fretted/fretless (please elaborate in thread)

0.6%
  20. doubleneck 7-string fretted/7-string fretless

0.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. detroitbasscity

detroitbasscity Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Detroit
    Just got my American P 4 string (fretted) this morning. Things going to the grave with me

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. COLDGLU

COLDGLU

Aug 29, 2016
    I'll admit I'm a Fender-bore.
    Not every bass I've owned has been a Fender, but currently, every bass I own is a Fender.
    In the past, I've owned one Epi T-Bird and my first bass was a Washburn.
    But overall, 4/6 basses in my bass history have been Fenders.
    I like j-basses and matching headstocks. That's my winning combo.
    I'm just a regular four-stringed, fretted kinda person too.
    Though, soon I will move onto Bacchus j-basses soon, to break my cycle and expand my horizons.

TB24 and joeaba like this.
  3. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    I've played many basses and after many years of trying to find the one, it came down to the Fender Jazz bass. What makes it work for me is the comfort of the neck and they way I have it set up. I have other basses that I like, but the fender is the bass for me.

Iofflight likes this.
  4. chrisbmets

chrisbmets Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    DINGWALL Super PJ

Alacajun and BassBuzzRS like this.
  5. pjspecial

pjspecial

Jan 6, 2010
    Toronto
    2009 Ibanez Prestige SR4000e.
    4 banger.
    I have 80's Japanese Fenders too but they don't see the light of day.
    I go to Long and McQuade music store here in Canada and try new basses as they come in but nothing compares.
    I have zero desire for any other bass.

6. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Funny, as this is my tagline. I didn't start out a Fender guy... actually had no loyalty to any one brand. My first bass in 2009 was a Traben, didnt know about them other then made Bootsy Collin's Star bass, which was cool enough for me lol. Found new model under $400 and I was happy as a lark lol. But over the years, unintentionally, I have become a Fender guy. I have played many others, even own a non-fender (Sandberg Ida Nielsen Signature Bass) (Bass player - Prince/3rdEyeGirl), but for the most part is Fender all day long.

Signature bass of Ida Nielsen (Prince)

Attached Files:

Alacajun and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    I have always been a Fender owner. Never thought I hit the promised bass land until later. I played the hell out of a Charvel fusion iv and really wanted a usa Jackson but at that point couldn't afford one. However I have owned a Fender jazz bass from the start because one of my Dads friends said get the Fender, so I didn't get my usa bc rich mockingbird. I am so happy 30 years later as my '83 jazz is such a great bass. And now many more year later I find my bass of choice is a pj pickup, percision body jazz neck bass.

8. The Filler

The Filler

Mar 25, 2017
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've gone through 5, 6, and 7 string basses. They were cool and I found use for the extended range strings but eventually just settled back into the "four". I'd get sick of paying for strings I didn't use and they all got sold eventually. So, 4's it is. I got my start on fretless but I just love the clang of the frets. :)

9. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Oct 28, 2013
    I can't believe how many guys still play the old 4-strings. Since switching to 5 back in '95, I could NEVER go back to a 4-string. 5 String has two full octaves and makes it much easier to play and more melodic when playing lower. But the one thing I have seen from manufacturers of basses and strings for the 5'ver is they will usually put 45-95 or 100 on the E to G strings and then a freakin' 135 on the B string. It's like playing two basses in one! Crazy. I keep all my string in equal divisions. I play 50, 70, 90, 110 & 130 Ernie Balls. They sound great on my Warwick LX5 and on my Spector Euro 5, as well
    and don't sound too bassy when playing the B. I have a friend who plays strings that the E (100) and the B (130). I always tell him when he drops to the B, there's so much bottom end, it sound amazing and then when he moves back to the E, I'm like Where did the bass go?? Well, I think I'm getting to him lately... cause he's been asking if he should try it. 8)

10. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I try to stay open minded to other people's points of view and all, but the idea that the 4-string bass has somehow been replaced by the 5-string is nonsense. If you don't see that a 4-string bass has more than two full octaves, I don't think the problem is with the bass. Do you think there are 6-string players out there that can't believe how many guys still play the old 5-strings?

Tetzip and oldfartatplay like this.
  11. graybass

graybass

Aug 14, 2010
    Pretty much 4 and 5! Maybe I'm set in my ways but I slap much better on my USA Spector NS-2 than on my Warwick German made Fortress 5. But I do love the extended range. I love the look my guitar player gives me when I dial up ultra bottom on my low B. Man that low C just kills people! But I love my 4, but I love my 5! Oh hell I just love bass!!!!

Trouztrouz likes this.
  12. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Wow. Not sure when I originally voted on this, but I have updated my vote with my newest preference of 6-string fretted. (Also 4 and 5 string fretted.)

oldfartatplay likes this.
  13. I have itty bitty hands so anything wider than a 5 string neck or longer than a 34" scale hurts to play. My Wolf has narrow spacing and a 2 octave fingerboard while my Ibanez also has narrow spacing but a 2.5 octave fingerboard. Granted I haven't used anything beyond the 24th fret on the G string, it's nice to know more is there if need be.

14. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Where are the piccolo and tenor basses?

15. I'm a confirmed 5 string player. I really miss the B string when I pick up a 4 and the C string on a 6 just gets in my way.

16. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I was so excited to changed my vote agreed all these years, and the only thing that has changed with me getting and moving on from half a decade of gear is a fretless five string addition, because most of the changes were with various fretted fours.

17. PixelPaintbrush

PixelPaintbrush

Jul 25, 2016
    Kentucky
    4-string Fretted Ubass here!

18. Am. Pro. Fretless Jazz with D'Addario ETB92 Nylons, and a Black Moto PG.
    thNUbko. aXwWsKa. eUtzA12.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  19. Am. Std. Jazz.

TlXlxDA. tXwRdDL. iJ5hie5.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  20. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Nearly 35% play 5-string. But basses in the marketplace are nowhere near that number. Sigh.