1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Kind of Bass Guitar do you Play (Re-loaded)? BE SURE TO REVOTE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 18, 2008.

1. 4-string fretted

82.8%
  2. 4-string fretless

17.7%
  3. 5-string fretted

34.6%
  4. 5-string fretless

6.4%
  5. 6-string fretted

8.5%
  6. 6-string fretless

2.3%
  7. 7-string fretted

0.7%
  8. 7-string fretless

0.2%
  9. 8-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.3%
  10. 8-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.1%
  11. 9-string fretted

0.1%
  12. 9-string fretless

0.0%
  13. 10-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.1%
  14. 10-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.0%
  15. 11-string fretted

0.1%
  16. 11-string fretless

0.1%
  17. 2x and 3x course fretted (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

1.1%
  18. 2x and 3x course fretless (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

0.1%
  19. unlisted fretted/fretless (please elaborate in thread)

0.6%
  20. doubleneck 7-string fretted/7-string fretless

0.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I play mostly 5 string fretted but when I need that p-bass sound I use a 4 string fretted p-bass and if the music calls for fretless I use my 5 string fretless.

2. Got a 1966 Gibson EB-2 coming, yup still a 4 string player, I did own a 5 string briefly years ago but never really like the sound of a bass guitar played lower than the low D and I got used to tuning the E to a D and back again on the fly a long time ago.

The Terror likes this.
  3. A replacement PJ bass.
    GAd8y6R. mNCzHLj.

4. The USA Geddy Lee Jazz.
    jdiz8UM. dkwpI9j.

5. Ray H.

Ray H. Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Waterloo, Oregon
    IMG_7921. Love my Xotic XJ1 Jazz Bass!!!
    Absolutely Amazing!!!

PixelPyrus likes this.
  6. matty4string

matty4string Banned

May 11, 2016
    Lies!! Most of you bass players play a two string with an extra two strings for looks. ;)

7. Ray H.

Ray H. Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Waterloo, Oregon
    Any more than 4 strings is a Harp. Lol

matty4string likes this.
  8. I saw a guy so mad at trying to keep his E string in tune, he ripped it off right in the middle of a song. He played out the rest of it with 3 strings and most people in the audience didn't even notice/care. Thought it was the greatest thing I ever saw a bass player do!

Ray H. likes this.
  9. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Four string fretted...always.

jazzalta77 likes this.
  10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    2 5 stringers and a 4 string

Element Zero likes this.
  11. At one point in my life/career, I had five basses (all four string)-

1. Aria SB (not sure of the exact model, but it looked like the one Cliff Burton and John Taylor played) tuned C, G, D, A. The "most MISSED" of all my instruments...

2. Yamaha BB series (not sure of the model either, but it was a cheap dog of a bass- not expensive). Paid something like $200 CDN for it tuned E, A, D, G. Sounded like a P-bass, but at the same time, didn't. I could take it or leave it...

3. 1996 Yamaha BBN4 (bought used in 98, still my main), modified (see profile), tuned D, A, D, G- My standard tuning now (I WILL scuff up big time if I try to play in standard tuning now!).

4. Early 90's Fender Precision (Japanese). I really didn't "get" the idea of the P-bass thing back then, and changed out the PUP to an EMG and added all sorts of EQ and crap to it). Tuned EADG (DADG with a Hipshot tuning key). Kinda miss the stock instrument now (and am having a "70's P-bass" jones now).

5. Early 90's Fender Jazz (possibly Japanese, can't recall). Did all sorts of crazy things to it (like adding a Precision PUP between the J's when I wanted a P sounding bass, and stripping the finish to make it look like the one on the back cover of Jaco's Invitation LP). Tuned E, A, D, G (sometimes D, A, D, G, depending on the gig).

I'm sure there are pics of some or all of these instruments somewhere on my compy.

The BBN4 is the only bass that has survived all my use/abuse, and it's 20+ years old now! Still sounds great (actually, BETTER now than back then, IMHO- player or conditioning? Not sure)! Depending on settings, can get the vibe of P-bass, Ricky (especially with a pick), or J!

Alacajun likes this.
  12. I've got 9 basses, mostly 4 string freed (in different configurations) and 3 five string for when lower tunings are involved

13. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    I play mostly my own creations, so I have (3) 4-string fretted, (1) 5-string fretted, (1) 6-string fretted (headless), (1) 8-string (2-course) fretted, and (1) 4-string fretted/fretless hybrid. My only production bass is an ESP DF-404.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  14. PixelPyrus

PixelPyrus

Oct 28, 2017
    Space
    c01cbddfb6ee95a3c38e15eb10983a3c.

Alacajun likes this.
  15. Prof Z

Prof Z

Oct 28, 2017
    Here are my two current babies.
    Guild A12 and Dean Semi.
    I confess I play the bass much more often theses days.

Attached Files:

16. jazzalta77

jazzalta77

Sep 8, 2017
    Just one 4 string...Ibanez SR750 with Barts.

retslock likes this.
  17. These two Gibson SG Std.'s in Heritage Cherry, and Walnut.

iP3SJHj. mYUZUt1.

PixelPyrus, Alacajun and Ghastly like this.
  18. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Playin' a parts Precision with D'Addario flats and a MIM Jazz with nylon tapewounds in my country band,
    Playin a Ric 4003 with Pyramid flats with my 60's pop/blues band, and
    Playin' a MIJ '87 Precision with Roto rounds for rocking around with friends.

19. Chicken Steve

Chicken Steve

Apr 1, 2014
    I got the Peavy pictured in the mid 80's ......it spent a few years in a barn, so i had to tear it all down and rebuild it, the pic guard is still kinda funky , but it plays ok ~CS~

20. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    4 string fretted- Fender p-bass, Gibson Thunderbird, Guild b301, 4 string fretless-Warwick corvette, 5 string fretted-3-American Standard Fender P-basses, Other-NS EUB 4 string