1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Kind of Bass Guitar do you Play (Re-loaded)? BE SURE TO REVOTE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 18, 2008.

1. 4-string fretted

82.7%
  2. 4-string fretless

17.7%
  3. 5-string fretted

34.6%
  4. 5-string fretless

6.4%
  5. 6-string fretted

8.5%
  6. 6-string fretless

2.3%
  7. 7-string fretted

0.7%
  8. 7-string fretless

0.2%
  9. 8-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.3%
  10. 8-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.1%
  11. 9-string fretted

0.1%
  12. 9-string fretless

0.0%
  13. 10-string fretted (non-doubled)

0.1%
  14. 10-string fretless (non-doubled)

0.0%
  15. 11-string fretted

0.1%
  16. 11-string fretless

0.1%
  17. 2x and 3x course fretted (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

1.1%
  18. 2x and 3x course fretless (8,10,12+ (2x 4,5,6+ string) and 12,15,18+ (3x 4,5,6+ string))

0.1%
  19. unlisted fretted/fretless (please elaborate in thread)

0.6%
  20. doubleneck 7-string fretted/7-string fretless

0.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    1970-Fretless P-Bass.
    1966-Jazz Bass.
    1982-AV Reissue 1962-P-Bass ( Fretted )
    Custom Wide Jazz 5-String Fretless.

2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    1962 jazz bass (Jaco)
    D'alessandro custom fretless 5
    Ibanez GWB1005

3. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    Should a' kept my very funky Gibson Tobias 5 string. There was so much wrong with it from Gibson and so much right about it with the Tobias bolt on neck and Bartolini's. Lightweight, always in tune and the best recording sound I've ever had. Through my archaic Unicord 90 watt amp with an old 15" Altec Lansing, the sound cut like a knife even next to these guys with Twins and Marshals. I changed amps to get more power and it was a grave mistake. I started buying basses to match the amp. Still have amp, discontinued of course for very obvious reasons and the bass I have now is a lovely G&L JB with ebony fingerboard but a 1-1/2" nut and a 12" radius. 12" radius is something to contend with but the sound is worth it.

4. BC Rich Girl

BC Rich Girl

May 30, 2018
    Houston
    Pretty much exclusive to BC Rich instruments...many people might try to argue that BC Rich are junk, but it's all in the matter of selection and modification. Why modify??? To make the instrument have the character you want it to have, obviously. That is the joy of BC Rich...the exotic sports car of guitars. The older ones are much better in my opinion. I've played 4 and 5 string Riches - mostly punk rock and heavy metal (original bands - no cover bands)...I don't own a 5 but they feel nice. Been playing since 1997. I've owned a Dean, a kit bass ( Flying V ) and 6 Rich basses, one of which is Neck thru 1980's Eagle BC Rico (lawsuit era)...the Rico feels the best and the weight is not too heavy. Normally, I change pickups out to a seymore Duncan model, and aside from the vintage rico, all have had their hardware blacked out. I also like DR coated bass strings because I feel that they stay bright sounding much longer than ordinary nickel.

RexxRokket and Zoobiedood like this.
  5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    My main players are both modded MIJ Squier basses from the 80s. They are stellar, and I have no regrets. :)

6. Az4stringer

Az4stringer

Jun 27, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Lakland Skyline Ice Blue Metallic 44-60
    Lakland Skyline 44-AJ
    Carvin LB70 (purchased in 1989)
    Hadean U-Bass

7. I have 1 4string and 1 5string. Come October I plan to own another 5 string.

8. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    After 18 years with various 6 string basses, I bought a Rickenbacker 4 string bass. My six string basses have been mostly collecting dust for the last year or so.

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Believe I've posted here before, but in 40 playing years, I've owned all sorts...5ers, 6ers, fretless, active, an 8 string (doubled courses), hollowbodies, many different brands, new, vintage, custom, cheap, high end...

What I've found is that if I could have only one, I'd be content with a passive, fretted 4 banger. Really all I need. Something P-flavored, thank you. Nothing fancy.

But I gotta say, I do sometimes GAS for an AGB, another 8 string and a vintage-look hollowbody to string with flats...

I just can't see or justify owning more than one bass or paying more than $250-500 for one ever again.

Maybe if I ever started gigging again...

10. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    It's good to read this. I would be more than happy with my P in that price range, all GAS is just that, gas. As in it's nothing, it's ethereal.