1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what kind of bass & how to get this sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris K, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars

What kind of bass is the guy using?
    J-pu's?
    Passive?
    How to set up for a sound like this?

2. That would be a Warwick Streamer...and the 'sound of wood'. :)

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thats Stuart Zender. I believe he uses a Warwick Streamer with a PJ config. Maybe you should tell something about what your own gear for advice about the setup?

Edit: ah, beat to it.

4. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Thanks man, I'm not very into configs, so: PJ? Meaning both P and J pu's? How does he mix them?

I have a G&L L2500 ( 2 humbuckers, series or parallel or seperate, active/passive) + PJB Briefcase (5-band eq).

I prefer a woody sound, but I believe I am searching for more 'body', sonority, IYKWIM.

I already tried raising the low mids.

5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    That tone has as much to to with the sharp attack of the player's technique as it does the gear he's using. I am not sayin' you could duplicate it on any bass, but if you don't use the right technique you'll never get there.

It's a combination of playing over the bridge pickup and a very clean left hand.

6. Yep.

I play a twin humbucking bass too, and to emulate this tone I set up single coil, pan all the way back to the bridge, add a bit of bass boost, and use the extra tension at the bridge to help keep my plucking super tight and accurate.

7. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Right, I already figured out accury/plucking at the bridge. Gonna try the rest as well.

Thanks for all your time and help guys.