What Kind of Bass Is For Me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Touch, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Hi All,

I'm over here from the "dark side" of the board. I'm an upright man, but feel like trying slab bass for a change.

I'm looking to get a fretted 4-string electric bass. Not really sure what I am looking for and what the "good" basses are these days. Would like to keep the price around $500. Used basses are fine.

Any suggestions?

2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Use the force...

Kinda hard to answer this one. Good question :). I'd say if you're just looking to like mess around on electric, pick up something like an SX (www.rondomusic.net). They're amazingly cheap yet decent quality. You can up the money into one and go used like Spector, Lakland perhaps, maybe an MIA Fender...
    Either way, good luck on the quest. I'm semi-looking for an upright myself... so you might see me on the other 1/2 of the forum even, eventually :p.

3. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    For $500, it's tough to beat a used American Fender Precision. Something from the late nineties falls into that price range and you can always sell it for what you paid.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you can provide a little more information about what you're looking to play and what kind of setting or capacity that you're gonna use it, you'll probably get much more informed feedback.
  5. Either a Fender MIM P or J...

Precision you get one good tone, Jazz you get 3. :bassist:
  6. I'd suggest a used USA Hamer (bolt-on neck) CruiseBass. They are generally available for $500+/- on eBay. A used Fender Precision or Jazz Bass is also a good choice. There will be a lot of people who will try to steer you towards $100 basses. My advice is to steer clear of those...they are to electric basses what those $400 Chinese-made things are to uprights.
  7. I also agree on the Fenders. A Jazz or a Precision should do... after all, they're like the "bare-bones" basses.