1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of bass is Paul Simonon playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VernRumseyIsGod, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Hello all!

I know Paul Simonon of the Clash is well known for using a Precision, but there are a few photos floating around of him rocking a strange bass with a neck-position humbucker that looks like the ones on Gibsons from that era.

I've attached the file to this post. Wonder if anybody could help me identify the make/model of the bass? I've never seen anything like it that I can recall.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I think that's Paul's first bass, built from assorted parts by Tony James and then eventually given to Paul, who adorned it with new cosmetics. Tony recounts the story here, though I question whether Tony's memory is 100% accurate. For example, the neck doesn't look like it was hand-carved, but rather resembles a neck taken from any one of a number of import instrument brands sold in the U.K. during the mid-'70s, including Hagstrom and Teisco.

VernRumseyIsGod likes this.
  3. The neck is from a Wilson,made in the UK by the Watkin brothers. They were the 2nd company in the UK to build solid body electrics,brothers were also known for WEM,the Copycat and PA systems.

VernRumseyIsGod likes this.
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks for that clarification. I believe Tony's claim of having cobbled the instrument together, but the neck simply looked too nice to have been made from scratch by a first-timer.

5. Aye,it was easy for me to tell what it was. I own one :laugh:

VernRumseyIsGod and garp like this.
  6. Thank you for the info! It's a killer looking bass. And nice avatar!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021