What kind of bass is this? (Duff Mckagan content))

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GK Growl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Here's a link to a new band called Walking Papers. Awesome, organic sounding rock and roll at it's finest. Plus, Barrett Martin is in the band so you know the drumming is tight. Anyway, what kind of bass is Duff playing? Looks to be some sort of hybrid P/J thing. Jazz body, P/J pickups. Geddy style neck with block inlays on maple fretboard. Custom shop maybe? There is a good close up of the body and neck at the 3:50 mark at the end of the video. Earlier in the video I can see "Fender Jazz Bass" on the headstock.

2. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
  3. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah looks like it just with a P pickup. Even has the side mounted jack and 4 knobs.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Nice!

5. There are some Japanese made Jazz P/Js coming to our shores lately. My local shop has a gorgeous CAR one.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    We (my band) have known Jeff for a while, played a ton of gigs with his old bands, and I remember him hanging out at our studio sessions drinking our booze!
    Duff only recorded about four songs on that Walking Papers album, but seems to be on full-time now.

7. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I totally missed that it has a P pickup, could be something else but I wouldn't put it past Duff to get something modded with a P by Fender or whoever just for him.

I like it!

8. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    That looks like an American Deluxe Jazz IV with a P pickup added.

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    That would be a big seller if they offered it.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Is that not a Reggie Hamilton sig?

11. kmqu601

kmqu601

Nov 4, 2010
    CT/NYC
    Really good looking bass, and that song is pretty darn good too. I could listen to that Fool in the Rain style beat by itself, pretty much

12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Not with a maple fingerboard.

13. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Duff is just awesome. Great pocket playing with brilliant fills and passing notes. One of, if not the, greatest inspiration for why I picked up bass in the first place.

14. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I just Googled the band and saw that Barrett Martin is on drums. Now I have to get the album. His drumming on "Dust" and "Sweet Oblivion" was incredible. All-star rhythm section.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've also never seen Duff play any amps other than GK. Looks like he's got an older Fender stack behind him. Whether he's actually using/used it is of our a different story altogether.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have the album and I just looked at the liner. Duff did three tracks, and Barrett Martin did the remaining majority of the album on upright bass.

17. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I believe that is the new Fender Super Bassman and a Neo610.

18. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    That's exactly what I want to do: put a P pickup on my american deluxe jazz.

19. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    The Walking Papers record is really good. Nice, organic rock sound that seems to be pretty scarce these days.

20. I really liked the guy on the Rhodes, he added a lot to the song.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021