1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of bass is this Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lincoln, Jan 16, 2012.

What kind of bass is this?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2012.
  1. acoustic upright

28 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. electric upright

40 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. bass guitar

31 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. bass guitar with midi

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    My trio has been working on our new CD for a bit now. And in that time I've switched instruments numerous times trying for the best sound that i wanted.

This particular clip, Fight or Flight, has a certain Afro-Cuban sound meets King Crimson lite...

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to determine if this is
    a. an acoustic upright
    b. electric upright
    c. bass guitar
    d. bass guitar with midi sample

http://soundcloud.com/lincolnadams/fight-or-flight-2-1-14

2. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    Sounds like a hollow body electric double bass.

Oh and the song has a very nice vibe to it.

3. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks! There's a few clams on my end, that I'll clean up on the next takes...

4. OOoo I voted with the masses I hope Im right

5. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Interesting poll so far...I'm curious as to what characteristics you're hearing that lend you to make your selections...

6. I'm almost perfectly sure this is a double bass with pickup. Acoustic Upright, to stay in the terminlology of this thread. The solo just has this certain thing I cannot define, but it instantly triggers "double bass" in me.

I might be wrong. Certainly on the wrong side of the fence here, but...
    Best
    Sidecar

7. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I guessed electric upright because I think I can hear the strings are vertical in the attack - but the tone does not quite sound like the acoustic Double bass. Not easy to tell though - sounds great whatever it is!

8. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Many thanks! Hopefully, I'll continue to adjust to playing it and play things a bit better sounding on it.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    +1

10. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I bet it's none of the above. This guy seems kind of tricksy.

11. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hm, not an easy one, this... well, at least not for me and my jaded ears :)

During the first part of the song, I was not entirely sure, could've easily gone either way (ah, the advances in technology), but the sound during the solo definitely has an upright quality to it, so in the end I voted electric upright, on the account that the tone was somewhat, in lack of a better word, thin for a DB.

On a side note, all those endless alder vs. ash, maple vs. rosewood etc. thread-wars come to mind, with some people claiming they can always discern which is which... based on the results of the poll so far, it would seem we cannot even agree whether the instrument is a bass guitar or a double-bass :) then again, maybe only us, apparently tone-deaf people, decided to vote on this one :D

Oh, yeah... awesome tune and great playing! I've enjoyed it immensely! All the best.

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I voted EUB as well, but noodling along with my Breedlove fretless I was able to come rather close. It sounds fretless and has a bit of an acoustic vibe to it, but it just doesn't have the big booming sound of an acoustic upright. His strings sound more like gut. If it is an ABG, maybe it has nylon tapewounds.

13. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    who? what? me? tricky?:bag:

14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I'm pretty sure I know what it is, and not my first guess, closer to my last guess depending on your definition. I saw Ed Friedland demo one of these and considered purchasing one when I realized I could never afford a TB10 but it was also just a little out my price range. Hearing this makes me wish just a bit that I had held out.

15. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Hint; when I said it had "a bit of an acoustic vibe" to it, I was getting very warm.

16. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Here's Ed playing one. He is pretty convincing on it as well, but Lincoln, you make it sound even more realistic, perhaps just the setting and the mix, you both have great technique. Which pickups/strings did you use?

Epiphone Zenith Bass - YouTube

17. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Yeah, life would've been much simpler if OP actually listed his gear in his profile, and there was a Turner Renaissance Bass :) if that was the one you were referring to, of course.

Edit: I guess we weren't thinking about the same Ed demo, after all.

18. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Can safely rule out the Zenith...

19. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    But you may be on to something, though ...

20. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Found this lovely little clip for you for comparison sake.

It's a Takamine TB10...

Attached Files: