What kind of bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casey C., May 23, 2001.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    it's an Alembic of some sort.
    can't help you with the exact model but you can check on their site(www.alembic.com).
    it could be a custom one of a kind made specifically for Jason so don't be surpprised to not find it there.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Looks like a custom job based on the Spoiler model.
  3. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Spoiler with Europa Electronics I believe..

4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic Distillate with Series II electronics.

The body shape is the Distillate bass that Alembic discontinued several years ago.

The 5 pin cable that he's playing through identifies it as a Series I or Series II. After that you just count the knobs. If there's 7, it's a Series I. If there's 8, it's a Series II.

5. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    wow, i wonder what those electronics sound like...
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

It's not as overwhelming as it sounds, just a lot of flexibility to play with in contouring your sound.

Each pick up has a separate volume control and a separate low pass filter. There's 4 knobs.

Series I basses have a 3 position Q switch for each pick up. On Series II basses it's a continuously variable knob instead of the 3 position switch. Now we're up to 6.

The pick up selector makes 7. On Series II basses there is also a master volume control, that's 8. A lot of basses use a stacked volume knob to do what Alembic does with 2 or 3 volume knobs.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    and in my opinion it was one of the best alembic body shapes...
  8. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    look at that white thing between the neck pickup and the neck...looks like a strat pick up to me
  9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Too many knobs...not good...aaah.
  10. that's probably the brass truss rod cover
  11. Please don't scare me by telling me who the player is.

12. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    nice bass but who is the guy playing it?

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Twiggy, I really hope you are joking....but if not, that is ex-Metallica bass player Jason Newstead. If you would stop listening to that sh!tty manson crap, then you'd know a little bit about halfway real music....( I just guessed on the manson thing...you know....twiggy....manson's "bassist"> so if you really don't listen to that, completely disregard everything I just said)

Just covering my A**
  14. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    rolling on the floor here lmao. thanks BASS_PLAYERS that would explain the metallica emblem on his shirt under the guitar strap!(i kill me) and yes by the way i do listen to that ****ty manson crap as you called it