1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitelotus, May 11, 2006.

1. whitelotus

whitelotus

May 11, 2006
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the community. Last night, I was out watching a jazz set and the bassist was playing a guitar that had 3 bass strings with tuners on the left side of the headstock and 5 normal guitar strings with tuners on the right side of the headstock. I've never seen a guitar like this. It was pretty awesome as the bassist could provide nice punchy jazz basslines and solo with smoothe electric guitar riffs on the same instrument.

What type of guitar is this called and where can you get one?

whitelotus

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    What about this?

[​IMG]

4. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Alright mate,
    the guy you saw was Charlie Hunter click here for his website, at least I think it might be.....
    He's considered more of a Jazz Guitarist than a Bassist, but he's pretty damn good at both in my humble opinion, even at the same time!

He plays a custom made Novax Guitar website here.
    It's got 3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings as you mentioned and the fingerboard uses the "Novax Fanned Fret System" to get better tension on the bass strings while still allowing decent spacing on the guitar strings.

If you're into Jazz, I thoroughly recommend his first album "Bing Bing Bing" with the Charlie Hunter Trio.

Hope that's the info you wanted!
    Cheers,
    Eude

5. whitelotus

whitelotus

May 11, 2006
    Yes, it was similar to this except it wasn't a touch-style guitar. The neck was slim enough to still play with both hands.

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
  7. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
  8. whitelotus

whitelotus

May 11, 2006
    Eude, that's it exactly. Thanks a bunch for the websites. I'll check them out.

9. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Not a problem Whitelotus!
    I think they cost an arm and a leg though, better start saving!

Cheers,
    Eude