What kind of bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, Jul 9, 2002.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    looks like an old kramer to me
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    My guess is either Kramer or Travis Bean.
  3. looks like one of them kramer aluminum neck jobbys. Who's the band? looks like their rockin out under the big top!
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Kramer - the Travis Beans have a "T" shaped cutout in the headstock.
  5. Listen

May 19, 2002
    The Band is ECA (Extra Credit Assignement), and yes they are rockin' out under a big top, these guys are REALLY good!
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Absolutely Kramer!! i had one for years, mine was nicer:D
    oh my God!! this picture was taken 1,ooo,ooo years ago!!
    this girl was actually disco queen for a minute- this has to be late late 70's -- go ahead, laugh!!!!
  7. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Ok I think I've figured out that this is a Kramer 450, and these were made quite a while back. Do they still make these? Or would I have to look around ebay?
  8. Oh! ECA... Did they get the extra credit for playing this gig??? So I guess their not straight A students then.... Really! Do you want one of those?. I think I played one once:eek: As I remember they were really neck heavy and they had all the warmth of a metal pole.. I guess they look groovy to some folks... and the look is all that counts these days......
  9. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Actually I do want one, I played one at a pawn shop, didn't know what it was, that's why I'm so interested, I finally got a picture from a concert I was at to show everybody what I was talking about.
  10. is that a pick he is playing with? shame shame (not that i have any room to talk at all):D ;)
  11. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I should probably know, but what kind of bass is this? And no he's not drunk![​IMG]
  12. kramer went kaput in the late 80's/early 90's. well, the REAl kramer went kaput. the name was bought by ibanez, i believe. they still make basses but nothing of any quality. they actually sell 3-packs of basses........... you'll have to do some realy searching to find this bass.

i have a kramer guitar (focus 2000) that was my first electric 6 years ago. they were known as 'the king of 80's metal guitars' being played by lots of stars......i know the axe guitar and bass that kiss used were kramers..... other names escape me right now, but there are lots more.

great instruments, if you find the right one. they've got great history, i think.

it seems like they have lots of quality levels. some built in the US, some overseas. there was some debate about the neck plates. mine says neptune, NJ on it, but it was made overseas, for sure. i don't know how varied their bass manufacturing was, but that's the way it is with guitars.

there's a lot of reading you can do on kramer guitars. go look for it.
  13. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I just read that Gibson bought the name...
  14. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that last bass you put up is an ibanez sr3005...nice bass...mahogany body, bubinga/wenge bolt neck, single string bridges...
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yes, Gibson has the name and you can still get Kramers at MusicYo.
  16. Hmm...reminds me of a Vaccaro (spelling?). Any connection w/ that? Or did I miss something?
  17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Indeed, there is a strong similarity between the old Kramer aluminum necks and Vaccaros. From the Vaccaro wbsite (http://vaccaroguitars.com):

I had to go look it up...

18. Gibson it is, then. my mistake. cheerfully withdrawn.

I just found this and thought some people may want to read it. i think someone emailed it to me when i first asked about kramer guitars.

yes, it's unofficial, so you can't believe all of it, but it's still a good read.