1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudleybradley, Apr 22, 2009.

1. dudleybradley

dudleybradley

Apr 22, 2009
    Hello friends,

I was going through a garage sale and found this bass, which I purchased for $400. All I know that it has a Badass Bass II Bridge, and that it is a vintage Yamaha. Anybody got a year on this? Did I overpay for it? Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's actually pretty sweet! The Badass is not original to it. It looks like a late '60s instrument actually, and Yamaha from that time period was good stuff. On the down side old basses like that often have been abused or left in inhospitable storage environments, leading to warps or ramps in the neck/fretboard or other issues. Pickups and wiring can go bad.

I'd take it to a good guitar tech and see if they can find anything that needs fixing and fix it, and then it will be a totally sweet player. I'm not sure you could get back any more money than you paid for it, with the climate on Ebay these days, and vintage Yamaha not having the same collector cache as vintage Fender or Gibson, but if it plays well then it was worth what you paid at least.

3. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Sweet find. Not sure I would have paid $400 for a bass without first researching it...

4. dudleybradley

dudleybradley

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks for the replies fellas.....it is much appreciated. Cheers!

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    $400?

Wow.

6. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Cool find. There are lots of people who really like the older Japanese instruments. If it works, you like the feel, and you will play it then $400 is not a bad price to pay for a good bass. Have fun with it.