1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of bass on Revolver "For No One"?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by So Low Bass, Apr 14, 2009.

1. The information on this Beatles tune states Paul used his Ric. HMMM.

A question to you "Ears" out there: Any chance that it's a J?? To me, the difference in sound from the rest of the album jumps out at me.

2. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    According to all the sources I've seen, Paul used his Rickenbacker on that album.

Paul did have a Fender VI but it was almost always played by John or George (Let It Be, Long and Winding Road, etc.) and, as far as I know, wasn't used prior to the White Album.

3. Hello KB-

The VI was used by John and George, never Paul (being strung the "right" way.) I understand Paul mostly used his Ric on Revolver, which brings me back to my question: Why does 4 no 1 sound unique. I think he aquired HIS J (not the one George later used) by this time...1966. Let's put the books aside for the moment; does it sound like a J?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, that's the worst font ever.

Anyway, I think it could go either way, but it sounds slightly more like a Ric to my ears.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It sounds exactly like a ric with flatwounds to me.

To the OP - you're free to go ahead and think it's a fender if you like. :D

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003

7. deego

deego

Nov 4, 2008
    Michigan
    +1

Good call

8. It's a Ric with flats.

9. No it's not.

:D

10. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Switch on the neck pickup only and a Ric sounds very different from what someone who's unfamiliar with them would expect. I've seen pics of Paul in the studio with that switch in the UP position.