What kind of bass player are you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rully irawan, Mar 1, 2001.

1. rully irawan

rully irawan

Jan 30, 2001
    hey guys what kind of bass player you are...tell me a story about you! About everything..whats your gear or maybe what kind of sound you prefer to use..i'm courius here and i need many references here
  2. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Dude: Welcome to the forum. You can read all about me by clicking on the little "profile" icon at the top of my post. Most of us have 'em, and you should fill yours out too -- that's how we get to know you.

Details not included in my profile:
    44 regular
    three kids
    one dog
    one wife
    unleaded regular gasoline (premium is a total ripoff!)

3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    6ft1 balding greying sacastic religious fanatic
    1 wife 3 kids 4 goldfish 2 basses 1 morgage 1 extremely fulfilling career

Welcome to the board

look up the user name thread its big but interesting
  4. Hmmm. Welcome to the board.

5'9" (6'0" in my favorite shoes)
    175 lbs.
    Dirty Blonde Hair
    3 kids
    No pets
    Finaicially destitute

5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Aside from what's in my profile, I am...

6 foot tall
    The owner of 1 dog
    14 stone (about 170lbs, I think)
    Right handed
    A Blackburn Rovers supporter

However, I don't think that's what you want to read particularly.

I've been playing bass since 1997, I'm in a band called The Shine, who play original sixties and seventies influenced rock (Mp3s coming soon! :)). I play a MIA Fender Precision Bass with Rotosound strings. I use my fingers. I haven't tried to model myself on anyone in particular, but bassists I listen to and admire are Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, and John Paul Jones. I am not particularly good, but intend to be one day.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    6'2" tall :)
    Avid Spector fan ;)
    "aggressive groover" :p
    Accountant :confused:
    MBA student :oops:
    engaged :D:D:D
    horrible golfer :D:D:D
    fair skiier :D:D:D
    decent sailor :D:D:D
    brother to two :D:D:D
    son of two :D:D:D
    father of ???:eek:
    lover of "smiles" :D:):eek::oops::p:confused:;):rolleyes:
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I am the son of a poor immigrant farm worker. I was raised in the hills of Northern Spain, where I learned the traits of a circus performers family. Home life was strict, yet fun. I began my snake juggling training at the tender age of 3. Lacking the necessary motor skills to catch the snakes, as opposed to running away screaming, which often happened, I quickly became skilled in underwater basket weaving. I would weave whicker when wanting it, and wove wonderful waskets, er baskets. It was not long until the family noticed I was not musically inclined at all. Family singing hour was often interrupted by my off-key renditions of "Jenny / 867-5309." The family would laugh and laugh as I nursed by snake bite wounds. I was often woozy in those days and found it difficult to form complete words, walk in a straight line, or maintain focus on any task for longer than 4 seconds, which made morning urination very interesting. I escaped to America at the tender age of 14, dreaming of a life free from tractor accidents and maimings and happy to no longer be living on a nuclear test sight. (Yes the Spaniards have the bomb!) I quickly realized my calling to bass after after a drunken episode of singing Midnight Oil's "Beds are Burning" in German at the local sushi house. I placed all my money into halter top investment companies and was determined to learn Arameic to help my bass studies. Needless to say, I advanced quite quickly in my skills, in just 16 short years of playing bass for 20 hours a day I was able to master Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." It can be said that I was truly happy. Truly truly happy. Why I wept all the time isn't important. Really, it's not. Quit laughing....

Anyway, the rest is history.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That was my 500th post!!!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Good one, Jazzbo!

I was born in a distant planet that no longer exists. My father was one of the most prominent scientists of our culture and decided that I, his firstborn son, should be the only one to survive the end of our world. (I don't know why he didn't try to save himself and my mother , it makes no sense to me).

My father put me in a rocket ship and programmed a computer to bring me to Earth, which it did after travelling many light years. Unfortunately, some fragments of my homeworld were also hurled in this planet's direction. When they passed through a radioactive cloud, their chemical structure changed somehow, generating some form of radioactivity that, while harmless to earthlings, is mortal to me (forget I mentioned that, m'kay?).

The Yellow sun and reduced gravity of your planet have had a remarkable effect on me. On this planet, I am faster that a speeding bullet, able to change the course of mighty rivers and leap buildings in a single bound.All that while I'm playing bass (did I mention my dad put a bass guitar in my spaceship?) For some strange reason, I can also survive in space without breathing, but hey, who's complaining?;)

Anyway, when I'm not fighting for truth and justice as a moderator or playing bass, I work as a mild-mannered reporter for a large metropolitan newspaper. There's this girl I like at work, but she thinks I'm a dweeb, on the other hand, she swoons when she sees me with a bass slung over my shoulder. One day I might reveal my secret. That day has not yet come, however.

Clark K, er, I mean, Will C.:cool:
  10. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Big Wheel,

Okay this is a little off-topic, but your little derivitive tirade reminded me of some funny stuff I just recently saw on Comedy Centeral. It's a cartoon short on a seriously demented show called, "TV Funhouse." The short is called, "Wonderman," and it is done in the style of the early Superman cartoons. Wonderman is very much like Superman, but he, “fights a constant crusade to stop crime — and get his alias (mild-mannered gigilo, Henry Moore) laid!”

OMG, if you're old enough to remember those Superman cartoons, the Wonderman stuff is a riot!
  11. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I've just realised that my original post only explains what I've done since 1997. Before 1997...

I was born three days before the outbreak of the Boer War - the two events are believed to be unrelated. (But I know better...) My childhood was not a happy one - my parents (Mr Ed and John Turner) decided that I should bring in money from an early age, and so I started work as Burt Reynold's moustache on the same day that the First World War broke out. (The two events are said to be unrelated - but I know better...)

After leaving Mr Reynold's employ, due to a crippling allergy to American Football, I began harvesting the delicious beans that live below the stairs. It was hard work - I died three times in the year I was there. After taking time out to write a novel, climb the North Pole, walk to Everest, and play cricket for England, Croatia, Never-Never Land, and Surrey, I became head lecturer at Harvard Clown College.

By now, I was 4 years old, and was overjoyed to find Jim had fixed it for me to go on holiday. While enjoying the Russian riveria, I was delighted to discover that I had won Canada in a raffle. Fortunately, I successfully convinced Geddy Lee that Canada was merely an elaborate fork, and swapped it for a spare P-Bass he was using to frighten trees.

The rest, as they say, is social studies...
  12. rully irawan

rully irawan

Jan 30, 2001
    hey guys thanx for the replies "it helps a lot" haha
    I'm still new in bass playing and I'm still courious about groove in playing bass...I think it is great when you have soul and those groove when you're playing bass, and I think jamming is the most effective way for me to get it. How about you?
    do you like the spontanity when you're jamming
    or nay be you got other ways to express it?
    by the way this is my dream bass..and daaamn why is it so expensive to me....hope i can afford it soon or my be 20 years later hahahaha
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Shhh, for Christ's sake man! Don't tell a soul! The windmills know that I'm here. It is in these mountains that Juan Valdez and his trusted burro..........
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ah, details. My trip to America from Spain left me in rough waters, detouring my ship to Columbia for a brief time. Lo siento pero no me gusta Juan Valdez cafe. Me gusta burritos vegetarianos. Oh, I don't know. What is the point to all this anyway. Can somebody tell me.

Rehashing the details of my life, a topic so difficult to speak of. You people have made me talk about things that I never thought I'd have to again...

|||runs to corner of room, huddled in fetal position hugging legs, rocking back and forth, trembling, in a cold sweat, muttering "happy place happy place happy place..."|||

I don't know why they let me have a computer at work...nothing good ever comes of it. :eek:
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Big Wheel,

I believe you know my two brothers and sister. They were bitterly entrapped in some weird piece of 2 dimensional glass, we're still a little shaky on the details, by your "father." There crimes were minimal, they had grown weary of living on the farm, and wanted to go to another planet. Their only crime was saying that bass was sooooo much easier than guitar because it only had 4 strings (shut up JT) and you don't have to play complicated "bar chords." Anyway, your father falsely imprisoned them, and I demand retribution. However, I believe that explosives jettisoned (love that word) into space originally placed onto Eiffel Tower elevators should effectively free them. So just you wait.....just you wait....
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Yawnsie, WHAT are you putting in your pipe?

.. and where can I get some?

Will C.:cool:

i don´t get it! :(
  18. I am <FONT SIZE=34 COLOR="RED"> TOM</FONT>
  19. And in addition to being TOM, I play a Squier P Bass.

And I am 5'9
    With glasses

And I like plaid.
  20. smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    A pretty bad one...j/k