What kind of bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fhqwhgads, Jul 7, 2004.

1. fhqwhgads

Jul 7, 2004
    Well here's the dealio. I've been playing guitar for several years now. When it came to my attention that my chuch's best bass player would be leaving this summer, someone had to learn bass. I decided it was somewhat logical for me to take this step. Now, i need to buy a bass. Personally i would prefer a 5 string although with price limitations this may be a tad bit unrealistic. as far as style, i like natural wood finish. Active pickups would be nice. I don't have much money so any suggestions would be appreciated. p.s. i really like godin's, but im not sure i can afford one, anything used in the alberta region is nice. Well thanks alot guys.
  2. Knightbass

Jun 19, 2004
    look at a Spector NS-2000/4. Active (can be converted to 18volts very easily), neckthrough, graphite rods, looks great, plays great, sounds great IMO.
  3. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    You are doing a noble thing (I did basically the same thing last year). Turns out that bass suited me better than guitar.

As far as bass recommendations go - a couple of suggestions:

1. Be sure to search - there are some interesting threads about good values at various price points.

2. 5-string is probably a good decision as a lot of contemporay praise music and old-time gospel goes that low.

3. What is your price range?

4. Would you consider mail order? There is a lot of support for the SX and Brice brands sold by Rondo Music.

5. If you like slim necks - there may be Peavey USA Millenniums (active electronics) out there used. In the US they run around $500 when you see them in stores or on ebay. You may not be able to find the finish you want tho'.
    This is what I play and if you want a slim neck and active electronics there is not a better value out there.

6. Did you post in the Basses Wanted forum or search the Basses for sale?

Good Luck!
  4. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Yep, a Spector NS2000/4 or the new Spector Legend would be a winner.... :bassist:
  5. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    OLP MM3s are nice
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what are your price restricitions?
  7. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Like others suggested, go for the 5. Believe me, finding a good quality 5-string for a price that won't bust your wallet is much easier these days than it was, say, 9 years ago when I was looking for an affordable 5.

-Spector has the Performer and Legend lines
    -Schecter has its C-series line
    -Ibanez has always had extended range basses for every budget
    -ESP has some good fivers at decent prices as well
    -Peavey too
    -Godin is said to be a good marque too.

And like others have said, the preowned bass market is good to look at as well.
  8. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    How about a G&L L2500 ? 5 string, active or passive modes, known for being outstanding active bass with great G&L made pickups. Ton of tone selections. Excellent bridge and tuners, Great price to quality. Hand made in USA ! Many finishes including a few natural finishes. G&L will consider adding/customizing just about any option onto any bass they offer. No I'm not a salesman just a long time owner of G&L
  9. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    As far as nice, natural wood finishes the three that come to my mind would be:

Ibanez SR 405
    Yamaha (can't remember model number)
    Peavey Grind

Pleanty of basses out there and the key is to play a bunch and find the one that fits you.

Good luck, and enjoy shopping! :hyper:
  10. Why don't you ask your churches bassist if he has any basses for sale. I bought my first bass from a bassist friend for $100 and it's nicer than most new basses in the $1000 range. Talk to your guy and check local classified ads!
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    If he's unsure about the prices of a Godin, he sure as hell can't afford a Spector or a USA G&L.

I'd reccomend taking a look at the G&L Tribute L2500. It's the Korean made version, but it's got the same pickups as the USA, and the construction and hardware are superb. One at a store around here cost $850 CAD. I would put in a suggestion for a Godin Freeway 5, a used SD5, or an A5 fretted. I've played a Freeway 4 on a number of occasions (a buddy of mine has it) and I really, really like the sound and playability of it, and at the moment, the A5 fretless is a candidate for my next bass.

EDIT: Jeez, I forgot about Yamaha. I've played the BB405 and it's a pretty good sounding, attractive looking bass. Doesn't cost a lot, and it's very playable. A step up would be the BB605, of which there's been a topic in the last day or so. It has the same Nathan East preamp found in the NE signature models.

Also, Ibanez Soundgears come in a whole host of price ranges, and they've got thin, comfy necks which might be better for someone used to the small spacing of a guitar. The BTBs are really nice, but the neck is a little wider and more "traditional" size neck with wider spacing.
  12. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    cant go wrong with a fender jazz...or a schecter