What kind of bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplay3r, Aug 24, 2005.

1. bassplay3r

Aug 24, 2005
    I'm going to buy a bass and I'm not quite sure what to look for. What kinds of features should I look for? I want a a nice bass, but I don't want alot of features I don't really need. What is an apropriate price range. I was thinking about a btb-300.

I'm new to this, so any input would be great.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well man. I'd search the net and local music stores to something that feels good to you. Even if you've never played before, check the weight, how it sits on your lap etc etc. if this is how you're going to buy a bass, bring someone who does play bass, and let them give it a go. If you don't find what you like, you might even find a good quality bass on the 'bay (e-bay that is).

IMO, I wouldn't buy a "starter" bass. Spend the little extra money on something that will last you. And if it ends up that you don't like the bass (God Fobid) then, with a name brand (Such a Fender) you will be able to sell it easier than if you had a Renegade for example.

Also, Welcome to TB! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Everyone here is VERY helpful.
    Have fun, and keep shakin the floors,

Mark Wilson
  3. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    What genre(s) of music will you be playing? BTW, welcome to Talk Bass! :)

4. bassplay3r

Aug 24, 2005
    I'm not sure if I am into a specific genre, but I am inspired by groups such as The Offspring, 311, Sublime and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I currently have an Ibenez that came in a starter kit. So I'm ready to get a new one.
  5. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    A good one ;)

I reconmend picking up a Geddy Lee Jazz, they seem to be nice, and not to bad on the wallet. An american fender P would be nice as well.
    Really depends on how much you wana dish out. Less than 1000? 1500? ect.
    If you budget is limitless i'd get a some sort of Fodera or wal. But thats me.
  6. I have a BTB 300. It's got a really comfortable neck and wide string spacing, which is a plus for me. I think that model has been discontinued though... are you buying used?
  7. weeding

May 17, 2005
    Go into a shop. Look at all the shiny basses. Persuade a lovely staff member to let you play some of them. When you find one you like, write down its name and get a quote (and DO NOT pay sticker price). Then go to anoter store and do this again. And agian and again. Repeat until the people in your stores know who you are. Then try to make a decision out of the ones you like. Ask around on TB, but just remember; everything anyone ever says about a bass is just opinion (unless its a wish bass...) By doing this, you should find something you love. Good luck, and enjoy the hunt (I just finished mine).
  8. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    I just started playing 2 months ago but I quickly traded my SDGear bass(cost just under $300 new) for a Spector Legend 4 string, which I absolutley love. It's something I feel I can hold on to for a long time and will be great for when my skills start improving, etc. The richness of the tone is far beyond the SD one I had.

You can get for around $500, so maybe a little out of your range...but the SDGear bass was a great one to start with, check those out.
  9. ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Buy one with 4 to 18 strings and you be in!