Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of bass should I get?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrekFlatland44, Sep 28, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about getting a new bass guitar and I've broken it down to 2 choices: ESP F-Series 5 string or the Ibanez BTB Series 5 string. Please help me out if u can, thanks!

2. Is the F series the pointy one? :D I wasn't really impressed with that one. I just played a BTB this after noon, though, and I know what my next bass will be. It sounded amazing. it was a four, but I've only heard one person say that he didn't like the B on the BTB.

3. I personally perfer the ESP. Not only am I a fan of pointy basses:D but I also perfer the feel of the ESP's. I too am lookin' into buyin' an affordable five string and the ESP's fall into my price range and felt better then the Ibanez BTB I played...plus I hate Ibanez necks. The B string doesn't cut through as much on the Ibanez... my vote is for the ESP, I think I'm gonna get one myself, the B serise though:D

4. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    well, i recently just sold my ESP f-205 bass, so already, that doesn't bode well :) I bought the esp on a whim, cuz it was 300 on AMS so I thought why not? I sure was able to think of a lot of why not's after the fact. It plays simply ok for picking and finger. No buzzes or dead spots on mine, but it lacked uniqueness and personality. Even with the active EQ, it didn't cut through very well. I couldn't dial in any tone that i liked. Also, I personally couldn't slap for crap on it. The B string is also VERY muddy and floppy. Anyways, it's your choice, but my opinion is stray away. I'm happier with my new essex :D

5. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Get the Ibanez if you can afford it. I tried the ESP and it was not all that great. It looks cool as hell but the tone and playability just aren't there. The Ibanez 645 is also a great bass for the money and Musician's Friend has them on sale. I have one as a back-up to my MusicMan...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No contest. Get the BTB.

7. Thanks for all the help. I think im going for the BTB, I was saving up for a car, but then got a free car!!! so now i have money to spend on a bass. So I have enough for the BTB.

8. Also Embelesher I downloaded the song Better Way on the site! Kick ass dude

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I really liked the BTB 1000, even without the Barts that come with the new models. Very nice bass.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or even better:

MTD Kingston!